The best way to clean track and engine wheels?

Started by T-Lloyd, May 10, 2008, 08:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Lloyd

I would like to know the best way to clean my track and engines wheels. I often have many dead spot on the track that i spend time trying to get rid of and would like to know if there is a better way. Currently i do this:

track - use a eraser and rub it over the track
wheels - 99% alchohol and a q - tip

I am pretty sure im cleaning the wheels right but the track im not sure, any help?

grumpy

Use the alcohol on a non fraying cloth and wipe the track.
Don :)

Hunt

Here is a way to clean
Track
  •   Wipe clean with cloth the track railheads using isopropyl alcohol.
  •   Wipe isopropyl alcohol residue from track with clean cloth.

Locomotive wheels
  •   On the track, clean locomotive’s wheels by holding locomotive and spinning wheels on cloth, not paper towel, soaked with isopropyl alcohol.
  •   Spin locomotive wheels on clean cloth the remove isopropyl alcohol residue.
  •   Place very, very small amount of conductive contact lube on each metal driving wheel tread and electric pickup rub points.

More info in http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,1743.msg14958/topicseen.html#msg14958

SteamGene

Don't forget to clean your rolling stock wheels, too!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

I use a rag with some gasoline to get the rough dirt off. then I spray with an electronic contact cleaner and wipe with a rag. that usually gets it all. Now here is a hidden problem that is a little bit ao a PITA to fix and that is rail joiners working loose. Get three os them little buggers loose and you have a problem.

T-Lloyd

Quote from: SteamGene on May 11, 2008, 08:35:25 AM
Don't forget to clean your rolling stock wheels, too!
Gene

majority of my rolling stock (85%) wheels r plastic, why do they need to be cleaned?

SteamGene

"are plastic" - because they are plastic.  Plastic attracts dirt more than metal does.  The plastic wheels pick up dirt and redistribute it.  Especially clean car wheels if they are plastic.  Take a Q-tip, dip it in alchohol and rub it over the wheel tread. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Try using a "Brite Boy" or equivalent track eraser to clean your track. I've found that they work best.  Or, you could use plain old white vinegar.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: ta152h0 on May 11, 2008, 01:05:56 PM
I use a rag with some gasoline to get the rough dirt off. then I spray with an electronic contact cleaner and wipe with a rag. that usually gets it all. Now here is a hidden problem that is a little bit ao a PITA to fix and that is rail joiners working loose. Get three os them little buggers loose and you have a problem.

Gasoline! no'no'no'no
Rocky Lives

ebtnut

You mention some dead spots.  Make sure you have good electrical contact to all parts of the track.  The rail joiners can get oxidized and dirty just like the track.  If the track is laid "permanently", solder the track connections or install jumper wires or extra feeders.  As for the track, the suggestions for alcohol are good for light to moderately dirty track are fine.  If there is a serious build-up of crud, ballast glue or paint, then a Brite Boy is probably the answer.  Kadee makes a wheel cleaning device that consists of brass bristles divided by a plastic bar to prevent shorts.  You hook it up to your power supply (or to the track with clip leads), and as you press the brushes against the driver wheels they spin and get clean.  Non powered wheels need the Q-tip and alcohol treatment.  The problem with plastic wheels--they tend to build up a static charge as they roll along.  It is enough to pick up little bits of "stuff".  Stuff collects more stuff.  I've seen wheels with so much crud build up that the flange is almost gone.  Metal wheels are not as prone to this problem.  Don't use gasoline!!! :o  It is WAY dangerous in a variety of ways!

Hunt

Quote from: ta152h0 on May 11, 2008, 01:05:56 PM
I use a rag with some gasoline to get the rough dirt off. ...

Please stop using gasoline as a cleaning agent! Cleaning model railroad rails with gasoline is not quite like fishing with dynamite; although, something or someone is going to get injured sooner or later.

If your layout is in an environment where it is exposed to many kinds of contamination that would necessitate the use of a broad utility cleaning agent; then, I recommend lacquer thinner. Adolescents use lacquer thinner only with adult supervision.

archie

The next step after cleaning the track and wheels is to apply a single drop of Wahl Hair Clipper oil to each rail.  Don't ask me how it works, it just does.

Also, converting to all metal wheelsets and running your trains often really helps to keep the rails clean, as well.

Archie

hgcHO

Has anyone else tried this: Wahl Hair Clipper Oil?   

HGC

grumpy

Laquer is just as dangerous as gasoline . Auto paint shops have to use special storage for laquer thinner where I live . I have seen what a laquer fire will do to a building.
Don :(

SteamGene

This comes back to the question:  Is automatic transmission fluid a rail CLEANER or a rail CONDUCTOR?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat