News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rivarossi Allgeghney

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, February 28, 2007, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
I realize that, given it is our money to buy our models and do with them what we wish; but why you-or anyone, for that matter-want an unlettered model of an Allegheny, given who Lima made them for.  To me, it is like lettering a GG-1 with B&M  herald and pinstriping (Hmmmmm...now that I mention it...)

As I write this, please do not think I am on a negative bent-I am not.  It is more or less a curiosity.   BTW; I am looking at the Pacifics that BLI are coming out with, and they seem to fit into the New Haven I series engines.  I was lucky enough to have been able to watch the commuter trains coming into Quincy, Mass. station with an I-4 or 5 on stud.  Believe me, they are indelible memories. 

Also, thank you again for the diaphragm sheets.  My girlfriend did a double take when she saw the paperwork on my table, and read the header...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Rich,

I am a freelancer with a fictional railroad, I have to agree that putting prototype lettering on locos that are not even close to what a particular road had is, well, strange.

But for us freelancers anything that fits the theme of our railroad is fair game. And, the C&O was not the exclusive owner of Alleghenies. What about the Virginian? If Hornby does not think they could sell enough lettered in Virginian, what a good compromise, sell some unlettered for the freelancers and the Virginian fans.

My railroad, the Atlantic Central is nestled right in between the the C&O and the B&O and has connections to the WM as well. That provides me with plenty of "prototype" modeling along with building my fictional empire.

I will be buying a number of those Pacifics, my road is very USRA oriented. They will fit right in perfectly.

You are most welcome, guess it was a good thing there where no color pictures attached.

Sheldon

Virginian

To the best of my knowledge, the Allegheny is ONLY available lettered for the C&O.  The C&O is NOT the only road that rostered them.  Therefore an undecorated model would be preferable in my eyes to one lettered for the Virginian, as 1) I believe I can do as good a job with a set of MicroScale VGN steam decals than, or 2) a better job for less money on their part, and they don't have to do anything except get blank numberboards made and NOT decorate some of them.  That should address the 3 year delivery time to get anything changed/altered.  3) There are freelance modelers who might want to roster one.  Therefore I will never understand why a manufacturer does not offer undecorated models.  You CAN get an unlettered Big Boy by the way, and UP was the ONLY road to run those.
"What could have happened... did."

Atlantic Central

And, there where more than twice as many Alleghenies as there where Big Boys. I am sure that we have now reached the point with Big Boys where everyone active in the hobby could own all 25. Where do all those things go?

Anyway, an unlettered version of the Allegheny would get my checkbook open, but I'm not paying that kind of money to dissassemble, strip and repaint.

But if Rivarossi, and now Hornby does not want my money that's OK, they have never gotten much of it over the years anyway. Maybe if they where more interested in cunstomers like me, they would still be Rivarossi.

Sheldon

Virginian

Well said Sheldon.  I have a bunch of their passenger cars but only 2 locos.
"What could have happened... did."