News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Would you like to see a Spectrum 4-6-2!

Started by Guilford Guy, February 28, 2007, 11:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

How many of you would want a Spectrum 4-6-2, non-pennsy model. The most popular passenger wheel arrangement in America yet bachmann has yet to produce one that is not Pennsylvania.
Put me down for one! ;D
Alex

ben_not_benny

Virginian

Nope.  Already seen plenty of USRA engines, and way too many Pennsys, as you noted.  Face it, they are not going to do anything specific.  But, since famous may make a difference, I would think someone would at least do Southern 1401.
"What could have happened... did."

Jake

^Yeah, Southern 4510 in the old crescent scheme would be cool too, HO scale really needs more Mikados.  :)
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

I don't know about a USRA heavy Pacific as being done in plastic/metal.  IIRC both the B&O P-7 and the Southern Ps-1s were close to the USRA design.   Any others close to the USRA heavy?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Virginian,

Nobody said USRA until you did. USRA or not, we NEED Pacifics, Atlantics, some Mikes that are not USRA, some late, large boilered 10 wheelers even.

Pacifics where the mainstay of passenger service in North America, and you can hardly buy a decent one in HO. There is not even that big of a selection in brass at the moment.

BLI/PCM has announced a B&O P7 and a USRA light, but that still leaves a lot to be desired. How about a basic 1917 Baldwin like those on the Western Maryland and dozens of other roads.

And, BLI needs to realize that they will sell a lot more of those P7's if they offer them unlettered.

Any Pacific is a good Pacific as long as its not a PRR K4, we have too many of those already.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

And yes, the Southern Ps-4 and the B&O P7 where USRA heavy clones, with only road specific details making them different. Once you have that running gear, there is a list of at least 5 or 6 locos you could do, maybe more. Not unlike Bachmanns Heavy Mountain, look how much extra they did to make the C&O version.

One running gear, two different valve gears, both modern and spoked drivers, several pilots, several cabs, a new tender or two plus the ones they aready have and few varried boiler details and a long list of credible Pacifics could be built. 

And, the B&O P7 when through quite an evolution. The BLI/PCM model planned is "as built". The modernized versions would seem to me to have wider appeal with all the transition era modeling going on and other big transition era steam that is currently available.

Someone needs to make these models!

Sheldon

Bill Baker

Well, since we're all wishing, I would love to see a Spectrum 2-8-2 SY Americanized!  But maybe that's for another poll.
Bill

jayl1

Why not spend a 39 cent stamp & write your wants to the company.  Some do actually listen to the consumer.  BTW I wouldn't mind seeing a plastic - decent quality - 4-4-2 Atlantic.

SteamGene

I agree with the P7.  A modernized one with the pumps on the pilot deck and that strange pump shield would be much better on the VT&P than the as-delivered version.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Okay, for the '403' time ... :-)

YES! A Bachmann (Spectrum quality, please) HO 'Harriman' style Pacific ... as well as a 'Harriman' 2-8-2. That would be wonderful!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

ebtnut

Assuming the BLI P-7 is half-decent, Bachmann should look at another Pacific prototype.  The Southern Ps-4 would be an excellent choice, IMHO.  It has somewhat smaller drivers (78", I think) that would lend itself to being redetailed for a number of other 1920's-vintage Pacifics.  In the past I've mentioned the Harriman locos too.  They are, of course, specific to those western roads controlled by Harriman, but that includes the UP and SP, which is a considerable chunk of railroading. 

rogertra

Yes!

But NOT a USRA design, nor any other design that screams out it's road of origin.

This means nothing streamlined, nothing with unique features.  Yes, a Southern Ps-4 would be fine but NOT the streamlined one.

Orsonroy

Virginian's right: we need more small engines, including (non-USRA!) Pacifics. Bachmann's going a great job supplying us modelers with engines that aren't Big-Boy sized, so let's hope they keep it up!

My personal wish would be for an IC branchline Pacific with low drivers, but that's a pretty obscure prototype. How about something that looks nothing like a USRA engine, that there were hundreds of, like a NYC K-3 or K-11?
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

rogertra

[My personal wish would be for an IC branchline Pacific with low drivers, but that's a pretty obscure prototype. How about something that looks nothing like a USRA engine, that there were hundreds of, like a NYC K-3 or K-11?
[/quote]

Right idea, wrong prototype.  Anything NYC always screams out "NYC", something not as identifiable would be better.