Maryland and Pennsylvania HO Clerestory Coaches

Started by charlii, June 28, 2008, 11:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

I've slept at the caboose motel, years ago in another life, not bad but not fancy by any means. The motel is right next to the tracks, great train watching all day long!

Sheldon

Jim2903

Quote from: Atlantic Central on June 29, 2008, 01:59:34 PM
D&RGW cars where yellow.

Sheldon

To my knowledge, only Rio Grande narrow gauge passenger cars were yellow, starting in the '50s after they were repainted yellow for a movie and the railroad kept them that way ("Grande gold," lasting until the present on the Silverton train). Before then, they were Pullman green back to about the teens, before which they were tuscan red. D&RGW standard gauge heavyweight/wooden coaches would have been green.
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Yampa Bob

I have researched the net for weeks and can only find vague answers to some questions I have about the "Overlands", so will ask them here.

Apparently the name "Overland" came from the old Butterfield Overland Stagecoach Lines, which was later replaced by rail. My first question is:  What car manufacturer made the 50' Overland passenger cars?

It was earlier stated that the name "Overland" is a SP/UP thing.  Now I realize model manufacturers tend to stick innappropriate road names on locos and cars.  But consider this, according to "Wig-Wag Trains", Athearn put the following road names on the Overlands, over the past 3 release years:

B&M, CN, CP, D&RGW, CNW, GN, NYC, SP, Santa Fe, Baltimore & Ohio, PRR, SOU, V&T.

It would seem logical that the same factory that made the "Overland" cars for western railroads would also have made the ones for "Ma & Pa".  If the eastern railroads didn't call them "Overlands", then what did they call them? 

Another question I asked earlier, but no one answered, "What was the seating capacity of the 50' coach?  One site hinted at 56, with the other 8 person seating used for a wood stove and conductor's station?

As far as I can determine, the 34' Overtons were mostly in "Bumble Bee Yellow", but the Overlands were, as mentioned above, made in both yellow and green.  I have both the D&RGW and SP Overland sets in green, the yellow version of D&RGW will be released later this year, I have it on pre-order. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim2903

I think "Overland" was just a marketing name Roundhouse came up with, something that sounded western, evoking images of the Overland Express. Then they get painted in lots of roadnames so lots of people will buy them. I'm no expert, but I would guess most lines, east or west, just called 'em open-platform wooden coaches. They don't appear to represent any one specific prototype, like Harriman, Boonton or Stillwell -- they just look old-timey.
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Pacific Northern

I have a copy of the CPR Colonist Car series 1100 dated 1905. this car looks like the Maryland and Pennsylvania coaches.

The car was built by Crossen Mfg of Ontario Canada

http://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/builders/crossen.htm

Pacific Northern

charlii

Photo of Ma and Pa #25, built 1903, acquired Ma and Pa 1914, rebuilt baggage/coach 1923. Next on my list to build. (Note odd shaped roof end)

Yampa Bob

Jim,
I think you are correct about the "Overland" name, which explains why I couldn't find any reference to it.

According to this site, Jackson & Sharp made many cars for Rio Grande. The company was acquired by American Car & Foundry in 1901.  So I think it's safe to say that most of these "vintage" cars were built by J & S / ACF.

http://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/builders/jacksonsharp1.htm

J & S made hundreds of narrow gauge cars.  Since they were only 7' wide, they had 2 seats on one side, 1 seat on the other, then switched the arrangement at mid car for "balance".  That would make the seating capacity 48 maximum for narrow gauge, and 56 for standard.

Thanks for the suggestion, it makes sense to me.
Bob 

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

That's a great web site for my research on western coaches.  I found several floor plans for 34' to 50' coaches.

Denver & South Park had their own car building facility. Apparently the cars were built back east, then shipped in sections to DSP for reassembly, with some flourishes added.

Looks like I have some more car bashing to do.  I found a drawing of a coach 42' over the sills, 48' overall.  I have an extra set of 50' Overlands that will bash nicely.

They will fill the gap between my Overtons and Overlands.