News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3-truck SHAY w/ SoundTraxx LC decoder

Started by vefanuri, August 09, 2008, 11:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vefanuri

I have recently purchased the HO 3-truck shay. I must say the details and the looks of this little engine is impressive. However the Soundtraxxx LC decoder and the measly speaker that Bachmann decided to include in this loco does not do justice to this otherwise excellent engine. The cheap sound decoder and the speaker ruin everything, making the engine sound like a cheap toy.

The decoder buzzes so loudly, especially at low speeds that the noise exceeds the actual chuffing sound coming from the speaker.  I have changed the CV setting that adjusts the frequency (PWM) and set it to the highest, to no avail.  I have also set the sounds to the max, which actually made the sound quality even worse. 

Just for testing, I have replaced the Soundtraxx LC on the shay with a LokPilot Basic decoder from one of my engines. The difference was very clear and immediate: Although the engine jerked a bit at very low speeds, there was no buzzing at all.

Here is what was advertised for this sound decoder and what I got:

• authentic sound effects uniquely appropriate to each model including whistles, bells, chuffs, and air pumps
  • additional sounds include dynamo, injectors, coupler clank, water stop and more --> These  are not included in this decoder
  • three whistles to choose from in each model
  • whistle can be played in real time to create authentic whistle signals
  • high quality 16-bit digital sound --> It is definitely not high quality, or at least not apparent with the weak speaker
  • advanced motor control features including Load Compensation and Silent Drive to provide smooth, quiet operation --> It is neither smooth nor silent, buzzing noise is unacceptable
  • supports all recognized programming methods

I do not understand why Bachmann would let this go through their QA department. Was the decoder buzzing level  acceptable to them? Don't they test every engine they manufacture?

What are my options at this point? Get rid of the LC decoder and get a decent one? Other alternatives?

Thanks for listening.

-Vefa

VTBob

I never had any problems with installing or running the Soundtraxx LC decoder. I didn't buy the 'ready-to-run' version however. I bought a standard DC shay & the decoder seperately. Made a video of it afterwards....link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhjxH1uHkwo

I use an NCE DCC System. I can get all advertised sounds out of the Decoder. The LC decoder version does not advertise: dynamo, injectors, couple clank, water stop or etc.

There are 3 whistles.

16 bit high quality sound is there, provided you installed the speaker into the tender correctly.

AMC (Advanced Motor Control) is quite nice. The Shay runs VERY smooth when put on the 28-speed step. There is a very small buzzing from the motor, but I have noticed that buzz from alot of DCC locomotives, including the Proto 2K line. The buzzing is loud when the locomotives are run on EZ Track, or on any wood surface without a drywall/homosote, or cork roadbed base.

If the buzzing is the one major complaint you have, try running your track on a 'sound-deadening' roadbed / track base. Wood bases or plastic, resonate sounds loudly. Mine does not buzz hardly at all when run in/on a test roller bed.

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

VTBob

Additional addendum:

If you crank the volume to the max, the buzzing you hear is from overloading the speaker, not the motor noise. Turn down the volume to 75%. You'll have the same buzzing sound effect on a larger scale with any other speaker, such as your car audio.

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

vefanuri

Thanks for your response.

Few clarifications: This loco came with the sound decoder and the speaker factory-installed. So I am assuming they are installed correctly. The speaker is facing upward in the tender and seems to be using the baffle kit from soundtraxx:
http://www.sodigi.com/Enc_Shay.jpg

The buzzing is loud even with the sound turned off, and changes frequency with the speed, so it is definitely the decoder. I have other locos with decoders and none of them has any buzzing this extreme.

Joe Satnik

Dear vefanuri,

What happens when you disconnect the speaker?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

vefanuri

I have not tried disconnecting the speaker. I will give it a try.
Thanks for the suggestion, Joe.

-Vefa

richG

Possibily you have a defective decoder. Return the loco to Bachmann. I do know the three truck Shay comes with the Tsunami decoder.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=2221

Rich

hotrainlover

Zytx,
Do you have pictures of the install you did for the Shay?  What decoder did you use?  Could I get the Product Manufacturer and Part #.  I have the baffle kit recommended for the Shay.  I am very impressed with the Youtube clip...
Thanks again...

hotrainlover