News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pacific Railroads.

Started by robman, July 15, 2008, 07:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robman

Hi there every body. My new layout is taking shape, a mighty empire, all 4' x 8' of it. What I want to know is this. I have seen Northern, Southern and Union Pacific but was there a Central Pacific or Pacific Central.
Thanks in advance for any info, Rob in NZ.
Modeling over there over here

SteamGene

Central Pacific is the road that went east from Sacremento to help form the first Transcontinental railroad.  It was absorbed, IIRC, into either the Southern or the Union Pacific - probably the latter.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

The Central Pacific was eventually controlled by the Southern Pacific and finally merged into the SP.  The SP was merged into the Union Pacific about 15 years ago.  In the period after the Civil War, many railroads with grandiose ideas put Pacific in their names.  Some got close to the Pacific, some never got off paper.  Some names that come to mind--Denver, South Park and Pacific (Colorado narrow gauge); Missouri Pacific; Kansas Pacific; Northwestern Pacific. 

japasha

The CP existed on paper until 1949. Many locomotives assigned to the overland route also had "C.P. RR" lettered on the cabs.  The CP technically owned the SP Narrow Gauge until 1949 according to the stucture.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: robman on July 15, 2008, 07:24:05 AM
Hi there every body. My new layout is taking shape, a mighty empire, all 4' x 8' of it. What I want to know is this. I have seen Northern, Southern and Union Pacific but was there a Central Pacific or Pacific Central.

In 1885 the Central Pacific Railroad was leased by the Southern Pacific Railroad, though it technically remained a corporate entity until 1959 when it was formally merged into Southern Pacific. The original right of way is now part of the Union Pacific which purchased Southern Pacific in 1996.

Info is from Wikipedia
Pacific Northern

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Pacific Northern on July 15, 2008, 03:21:10 PM
Quote from: robman on July 15, 2008, 07:24:05 AM

In 1885 the Central Pacific Railroad was leased by the Southern Pacific Railroad, though it technically remained a corporate entity until 1959 when it was formally merged into Southern Pacific. The original right of way is now part of the Union Pacific which purchased Southern Pacific in 1996.

Info is from Wikipedia
But the complete merge wasn't done until the 20-1st centry though.
- Joshua Bauer

RAM

I believe the Rocl Island had Pacific in it's name.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: RAM on July 15, 2008, 11:00:35 PM
I believe the Rock Island had Pacific in it's name.

IIRC, it started out as the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad, then became the Chicago, Rock Island, & Pacific.

Since Denver was left off the route of the Union Pacific, the line that connected Denver to the U.P. was called the Denver Pacific.

Let us also not forget that the Milwaukee Road was the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, & Pacific.

Yampa Bob

Don't overlook one of the most significant achievements in western railroads, the Denver, Northwestern and Pacific. (The Moffat Line)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Moffat
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

robman

Hey Guys. I cannot thank you enough for all the great info you put up for me. This surely must be the best hobby,supported by the best people you can get. Thanks from over here modeling over there. Cheers Rob.
Modeling over there over here