News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 and 2-6-6-2 in On30 to be produced

Started by ksivils, March 05, 2007, 09:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

To me the real issue for a 4-4-0 is the mechanism and body.  It will get converted and redetailed to what I want it to look like.  I would probably wind up with two - one as a cabbage stacked wood burner and the other as a straight stack oil burner.  Thus, I would wait for a less expensive one from Bachmann.

The 2-6-6-2 though, I will obtain from MMI.  The Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2s are my all time favorite big narrow gauge power. It will be my one piece of superpower and given its size and weight, as a die-cast locomotive, it will probably pull every piece of rolling stock I have.

Add a Heisler to the roster and no more locomotives.

ebtbob

Epeorus,

You may wait a long time for MMI to get that piece of crap sound system to work.   I have two of the MMI K27s and could not get the sound to work on either of them.    Funny thing,  if MMI had offered those engines at the same price without the sound,  they would still have been a steal.  The workmanship,  detailing,  painting,  and performance are just great!
      Now,  it depends on what you are doing in modeling in the On30 scale.  I use it as a cheap man's On3.   I am building an On30 railroad where the mainline radius is either 30 or 28 inch.   Only in the mine area and one potential other area will the minimum radius be under 28,  and I will not be running the Ks there,  even though I can.
       I had my local train store rip out the factory installed "sound" system and replace it with two decoders and speakers.   A controlling decoder is mounted up in the boiler and a Soundtraxx decoder and two speakers are in the tender.   This installation allows the number of wires between the engine and tender to be reduced to two.   This in turn allows the engine to take a much tighter radius than the advertised 26 inch.   In fact,  I have run my Ks around a 20 inch radius although they had to creep around and really looked terrible on such a tight radius.   I would love to put in Tsunamis but that brings back more than two wires between the engine and tender,  so I will go with what is in there now.
        While I rave about my Ks,  I will be the first to acknowledge that the Bachmann 2-8-0s have spoiled me.   The only way I would buy another engine in On30 the size of the K27 is if someone does an EBT mike.  I would LOVE to see Bachmann do a 2-6-2 or a ten wheeler.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa.
GATSME MRRC(www.gatsme.org)
Narrow Gauge Chairman
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

kenruof

Yeah,

I would love to see the SR #24ish OF 2-6-2 or a ten wheeler with not too small a driver size  8)

Ken

ebtbob

Good Evening All,

I have an interesting follow up to my reply earlier today.     I was working at my local train store,  where my MMI K27s were worked on.   The guy who did the installations,   who normally only works on Fridays was in the store and I was telling him about this thread.   He told me that in the past three weeks or so,  he installed a Tsunami decoder in a MMI K27 and the whole thing,  save the speaker fit in the boiler.   When finished,  there was only four wires running to the tender.   Two for motor pickup and two for the speaker.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa.
GATSME MRRC
Narrow Gauge Chairman
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Ken

IRCA engines # 250 & 251, gotta love them, may have to take a serious 
  look at getting a couple of the 2-6-6-2s, the 4-4-0 is of no interest,  not
  even close to a 2½ft gauge 4-4-0.

Ken
    GWN

Joker

Bachmann could easily get a 4-4-0 designed and built before we ever see the MMI model. MMI can get a model done about every 6-8 months at best and they still have C-19's, C-18's, C-17's, C-21's, K-36's, K-37's, and 0-6-0's to build. I estimate it to be a minimum of 4 years before we see 4-4-0's or 2-6-6-2's. You guys will have plenty of time to save up for these models or wait for Bachmann to do one.

BTW, MSRP for these models is about $500 for the 4-4-0 and $695 for the mallets

C.P.R.R. Manager

I read somewhere that MMI does not necessarily build things in the order they are announced.  If they sense a demand for the 4-4-0, for example, it might get bumped up the list.

Still, I think I prefer Bachmann's new approach, announcing a few months in advance.  It keeps the anticipation to a reasonable level!  My guess is that in late summer we will hear about the next major On30 loco, if they are planning to ship it at the typical pre-Christmas timeslot.  There is a probably a pilot model of something On30 running around the Bachmann factory even now.

toysnstuff

Hey all, Why wait for what you want/need? I have a Riv. HO 4-8-8-4 that is partially rebuilt as On30. It runs good on 18" curves (needed some slight work on lead and trailing trks.). I am currently 'fixin' to dcc/sound install.  Will post pix later. Jim
No Trees, Flora or Fauna were hurt in the production of this message however, Quite a few Electrons were disturbed or otherwise agitated. ;-)

Ken

jim

Have 2  4-6-0s and 2  2-10-2s in the backshop awaiting detail parts
for conversion to On2½ ft gauge based on engines in Brazil.
  The Rio turbio 2-10-2s are being restored to service 2 at present with
plans for a few more to be rebuilt.
  The 4-6-0s  IS frame, once operated on the VFOM which is now a tourist operation, at one time operated 400+ miles of 2½ft.

Ken C
   GWN

Lighthorseman

Like many others, I'm waiting for the Bachmann 4-4-0.  I am overjoyed to hear that MMI is coming out with a 2-6-6-2.  I am now seriously contemplating dumping my plans of purchasing a Model Power (Ex-Mantua) 2-6-6-2, the Tsunami chip, the Backwoods Minitures 2-6-6-2 modification kit, and the slope-back tender and trucks...the combination of which would most likely be eerily close to the MSRP of the MMI RTR unit.  Also, when the MMI version finally showed up, my Mantua/Model Power version would probably still be on the workbench, if started at all.

Jeff in NJ

I just reserved a black and graphite version of the MMI Class 42 4-4-0 from Southwest Narrow Gauge. If Bachmann ever decides to make one I'll just buy one of theirs also and have two different 4-4-0s to run. IMO, the MMI 4-4-0 at $399 is pretty good considering the amount of detail on their models...plus I DID come to On30 from 3-rail O scale, so $399 for an accurately scaled, highly detailed 4-4-0 looks REALLY good!!! ;)

peterherron

That "new" Roundhouse Trains 4-4-0 looks like it would be an ideal basis for an On30 4-4-0.  It is reviewed in this month's Model Railroad News.

Jeff in NJ

Quote from: peterherron on April 11, 2007, 03:32:49 PM
That "new" Roundhouse Trains 4-4-0 looks like it would be an ideal basis for an On30 4-4-0.  It is reviewed in this month's Model Railroad News.

I've done an On30 4-4-0 w/ one of the Roundhouse locos. It turned out OK, but I want an off-the-shelf, factory-made 4-4-0 too.

joegideon

Quote from: epeorus on March 08, 2007, 08:55:17 AM
I agree.  MMI still has my K27 and can't figure out why the sound doesn't work (it ran for two feet on my test track a year ago).  I am a little put off by MMI but will consider the 4-4-0 but will gladly wait another year or two if Bachmann just hints that they will produce one instead.

I have some MMI, well everything they've made- they're pretty amazing locomotives.  But most everyone I know has scrapped the sound on the first (outside valve) run.  Even when it worked, it was awful.  I certainly wouldn't let my engine sit somewhere in hopes that that awful sound system might miraculously become worthwhile.  My advice(for PSC):  Fix the lights, send it back! I think it was a case of wnting to do too much.  Anyway, 6 months later, Tsunami was the gold standard for sound, anyway.

geoff

In my opinion, Bachmann and MMI are compeating on two different levels of the On30 market. While it is true that Bachmann gives you  good value for your money, MMI does also! I have two BLI locomotives, about eight Bachmann locomotives and one MMI K27. In quality and performance, the K27 is on a much higher level than the others and at $400.00 it too is a lot of bang for your buck.
There are currently several retailers taking pre-orders for the On30 MMI Uintah and Sumpter Valley, for a price comparable to an HOn3 model. Let Bachmann concentrate on the smaller stuff. How about a 2-8-2T, 4-6-0, 4-4-0 and a Heisler?????? Oh, and don't forget about the new lower profile freight car chassis?