News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

k-27

Started by spla13, March 30, 2008, 07:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spla13

i sent my k in for counter weights and it was sent back to me faster than i thought it would. about 1 week! thank you. i do have some concerns. i oiled my k before i ran it but it sqweels in the curves on 16 1/2 foot aristo track? also in reverse it makes a low thunk thunk thunk. i am an automotive resteration specalist and i dont like what i am hearing. thank you.

jimtyp

My K-27 doesn't make any noise on 8' diameter curves.  I'd definitely call Bachmann or to the place you bought if it is local and has a repair department. 

Did you run the loco at all before the counterweights were replaced?  Did it make the noise then?  If it was fine before then it's possible they didn't put the side rods back on correctly, as that's about all that has to be removed to get at the counterweights.

You can look at what the side rods should look like here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/gallery/album49

vic

Did you oil it before or after it returned from Bachmann? If you oiled it before and its skweeking now, it might be a different engine, oil it agian if thats the case, if you oiled it after it was returned then follow the above advise. I would do the above anyways just to be sure.

spla13

i never ran the k until it was back from repair. i have oiled it three times in all areas of movement. the noise it makes in reverse is more of a faint thuk thuk thuk. it doesnt realy sound like a bad gear. it might be side rod excess clearance kind of slaping. it has about 2 hours of run time indoors only. the scweel might just be that i need to install flange lubricaters like i did on my big boy in nevada. any suggestions would be appreciated. i might just run it untill it falls apart and we will know whats wrong with it without a dought . then bachmann can fix it.

jimtyp

Another thought, you might check your track work.  Possibly your rail-to-rail spacing is below the minimum (too tight).

dmikee

Received my replacement counterweights promptly in the mail. Just now got around to trying to install them. HOwever, the new counterweights have a larger opening than the ones currently on the locomotive from the factory! Thus I have decided to leave it as is (as it came originally from the factory). Is there something I don't understand here?

jimtyp

Definitely sounds like something is wrong.  So you are saying the new counterweights are looser fitting than the originals?

Jon D. Miller

dmikee,
The counterweights, as mounted on your K-27 each have a small plastic "filler" inserted in each counterweight.  That "filler" has a small hole so that a Phillips head screw driver can be inserted to remove the screw that secures the counterweight.

With the six replacements you received what you are looking at is the counterweights without those plastic fillers inserted.  There should be six new "filler" caps packed with the replacement counterweights.  Once the counterweights are replaced, then these fillers are pushed into the counterweight.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2008/03/07/k-27-counterweight-replacement?blog=4

This is a link to a detailed article on counterweight replacement.  It has pictures of the procedure along with the tools listed, just two, required to replace the counterweights.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/gallery.php?set_albumName=album49&include=view_album.php

The Bach Man, early on posted the procedure to replace the counterweights. Above is the link.

Total time to replace six counterweights may be all of twenty or so minutes.

(This posting by one of the "Enthusiastic Children")

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)