News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Continuity

Started by andyandtherman, August 12, 2014, 06:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyandtherman

Hello, my son and I have amassed a bunch of track from various sources, both new and used. When we run the trains or even just a single locomotive to test things, we get stuck sometimes as in there's no power as some tracks. Some just don't seem to have continuity. Is that a simple connectivity issue or should we figure out which tracks these are and toss them?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

jbrock27

Andy, at what point on the track do you lose continuity?  Does it happen right after crossing from one side of a track joint to the other?  Does it happen in the middle of the track where there are no track/rail joiners?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Andy,

Continuity is the right word for your project.  Whether constructing a simple oval or a 400-foot loop, one needs to keep the current flowing evenly throughout the trackwork.

I have mixed nickle-silver track (shiny silver) with the older brass track (goldish color) with success. I suggest you get rid of steel track (flat gray). Brass track tends to require more cleaning, but does pass current just as well as nickle-silver track.

The key is making sure current flows evenly between track pieces. With permanent layouts we tend to solder the connections between track pieces and add extra electrical feeds from the power pack to the track.  With a simple oval, it's a good idea to feed current to opposite ends of the loop, so you don't lose current flow over the distance.

You cannot rely on the rail joiners to keep the juice flowing.  The joiners tend to loosen and get dirty over time, leading to losses of power as you mentioned in your post.

Hope that helps some.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Brass track tends to require more cleaning, but does pass current just as well as nickle-silver track.

Not just as well, but conducts current even better.  The downside, as you noted J, is the brass requires more frequent cleaning (bc the oxidation on it limits conduction, with the oxidation on n/s being more tolerant of limiting conduction).

Do we know yet, what metal track Andy is using?
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

On continuity;
If you have ever taken a good look at prototype track, you will notice a jumper between rails.  Well, this obviously is not for power, but other intentions, grounding notwithstanding.  Carry this into your trackwork, but for continuity.  The best trackwork will have good connections as well as good level and plumb construction.

Rich C.