Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Steam Durability

Started by rowdyjoe, September 04, 2008, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on September 16, 2008, 07:52:27 PM
Joe.

Perhaps I did go a bit overboard but one does get a bit fed up with constantly hearing people complaining about what are simple fixes that any so-called "model railroader" should be quite capable of fixing.

Even "Model Railroader" in it's reviews of several Bachmann Spectrum steam locos have mentioned bent or damaged pick-ups straight from the box and commented on their rather frail and exposed positions on the back of the driving wheel rims.   However, in the same reviews they have stated that this was easily fixable with careful use of fine point, tweezers.

As Sheldon said, these are delicate models and even with careful shipping and handling, and you know how often that doesn't happen, minor misalignments are bound to happen.

Sending a loco back because the pick-ups are slightly out of alignment falls under the heading of "Routine Maintenance" and should well within the skill level of any modeller.  It's not a candidate for a warranty return.

Sorry if I was a bit too hard on you.

Re-reading the original post the primary problem with the engine was the separation of the wire from the electrical clips. 

This certainly would be reason to return the unit for replacement for most users.  I know for certain should the wiring separate from the clips that my engines will be sent in for replacement.  Until then I will certainly ensure the wiring is not hanging up nor has the bar separated from the post.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

My Dad was a mule skinner in his youth. When someone asked why he carried a club in the wagon he said "Sometimes I have to get the mules' attention, then they drive just fine".

As Gene mentioned awhile back, some lessons are hard learned. We experienced modelers tend to be a bit harsh on newcomers, but it's not a matter of arrogance.  We have "been there" and hope to keep others from making the same mistakes we made. 

So newcomers, if we hit you with the club, it's to get your attention.  If you won't listen to the voices of experience, all we can do is wish you luck.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

RAM

pdlethbridge

grumpy

To skin a cat you don't need a club. You need some patience and a cat key.
Don ;)

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rowdyjoe on September 16, 2008, 12:17:29 AM
One time I built a house in a week with a pair of tweezers and a flat rock and I had two broken arms and a headache.   ;D

Sheesh, you guys take the cake.  Your idea of quality went out with high-button shoes and is far below what is acceptable today.  If you want to repair your locos yourself instead of return them for warranty work, knock yourselves out.  As for me, I'll return it to the mfg. for warranty repair and when the warranty runs out, I'll fix it myself ... if needed.

Some of you more "experienced" model railroaders have been a large help to many folks new to the hobby.  However, your superiority complex really turns people off.  Perhaps it's time you passed the baton to someone who can keep their ego in check.  Thanks for the help but, since it comes with the attitude ... there's the door.  Don't let it hit you on the way out.

Frankly, I don't know why I bothered posting anything here.  I should have listened to my firends who have posted here.  They were right.  All I got in return were snide remarks made by egotistical know-it-alls who look down on folks who believe in making the mfg. responsible for the defects in their product.

Sincerely,
RJ

There certainly seems to be  very active segment that seems to have taken over this forum.

I am surprised that there appears to be little or no activity on behalf of Board Administrators deleting the many needless/superfluous repetive postings.  What ammuses me though is how they strive to give examples that prove/support their view.

Then again I guess it would be possible that they are the Board Administrators.
Pacific Northern

richG

I have a HO Richmond 4-4-0 and a low driver 4-6-0. They are both well made and operate just fine. The details are a little fragile but this is to be expected with a model this size. I have snagged the sander pipes a couple times because I was impatient. The connectors and wires are just fine. I have had mine apart a few time while converting to sound decoders. A gentle pry with a jewelers screw drive and the connectors pop out of the socket. There is a possibility that my definition of "handling gently" is different from other peoples version.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
As long as the posts are basically positive and friendly, they will stay. The threads I've deleted have devolved into unfriendliness and personal attacks.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

Perhaps I am one of those who tend to speak in "parables".  When I was a kid, I often didn't understand the principles my Dad was trying to teach me, so he would give an example to make his point. He taught me kindness, generosity, courtesy and respect for others, but most of all discipline, by real world examples.

The way I see it, we're a bunch of modelers sitting around the clubhouse discussing trains. Sure, we wander away from the topic at times, as in any conversation, but we always accomplish the "Prime Directive", helping others find the answers. 

I, for one, have no delusions of grandeur, nor am I seeking any stature on the board.  My purposes in being here are for relaxed fellowship and helping where I can, but I like to also have fun.  If you notice, Mr B. always signs his replies: "Have fun !"

pdlethbridge

Bob, you can take your crown off and get down from the throne and join the rest of us Pius-less  humans,

Yampa Bob

Gee, I've been "de-throned".   >:(

The only throne I have is in the reading room.  I have been "crowned" a few times for disobeying my wife.  :D

pdlethbridge

Haven't we all ;D but not by your wife, of course :-X

ZukeyinMO

See my post "New 2-8-0 Woes and Fix". To cure one poor running and noise problem with a non-sound DCC 2-8-0, I ended up removing the power wipers from the in-board drivers. The outboard drivers and tender wheels supply plenty of power contact. Mine were badly mis-shapen in manufacture or assemby, beyond repair. Remving the in-board axle contacts also GREATY simplifies reassmebling the bottom end of the engine. If you've tried, you know what i mean!

Understand, this modification likely voids your warranty, but it was less hassle than boxing it up and sending it back. This poor lockey had even more severe problems (missing worm gear shaft bearings allowing the worm gear shaft to wobble), but with some patient, enjoyable engineering, The B&O 2781 is as fine a steam loco as any now.

If you find the driver spur gear to slip on the worm gear, make sure it has bearings of some sort in place. I retrofited mine with K&S brass tubing that fit perfectly, and consider removing the springs from the #4 and #2 axles. The springs have too high a spring rate and deform the thin plastic drive axle bearing plate enough to allow the worm gear to not mesh with the driver axle spur gear. Once "rigid" I had no nore slipping gear problem, it tracks fine over 0 percent to 2 percent to 0 percent grade transitions and handles my tightest curves (18") still like a champ.