News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout Function, Solenoid

Started by Trackman Ed, February 25, 2015, 05:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trackman Ed

I have 5 turnouts in my layout.  I purchased the Bachmann large directional box (switch) for all 5.  I'm pretty well set but now one of the turnouts will only move (snap, electrically) to straight, it will not move remotely to make the turn and back to straight.  The problem appears to be the little solenoid that moves the arm.  I'm using nickel silver EZZ track.  Are there parts available to fix this issue?

Len

Did you try switching control boxes with another switch to be sure the problem is actually the switch?

If it's not the control box, did you check for anything between or under the points that might be interfering with their movement?

If it's not the control box, and nothing is interfering with the points, then you'll probably need to replace the switch. Being built into the body of the switch, the solinoid coils can't just be removed and replaced with a new set if one is burned out.

About the only other option would be removing the guts of the switch and using a Caboose, or equivelent, ground throw to activate the switch. Or an under table switch motor like the Tortoise.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Check your wiring.  Once the wiring for a given control circuit is in place, the current will do EXACTLY what it is told to do.
SGT C

Trackman Ed

Thank you guys for the information.  I found the problem to be wiring to the specific turnout.  I inadvertently cut one of the three wires when I was tidying up the wires under the table.

Thanks again for the help.

trainmainbrian

Quote from: Trackman Ed on February 26, 2015, 08:31:24 AM
Thank you guys for the information.  I found the problem to be wiring to the specific turnout.  I inadvertently cut one of the three wires when I was tidying up the wires under the table.

Thanks again for the help.
I was going to suggest it has to be a wiring issue... But Glad you found the problem
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...