News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lincoln Funeral train

Started by toklap, October 01, 2008, 12:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derricknscaler

yeah i only have >:( two old timers fright cars but  ;Di have three old timers passenger coaches  :(the hobbey shop i go to they dont get them as much any more the funeral train looks awsome the black and gold color is awsome!

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on March 12, 2009, 03:27:03 PM
Rivarossi of Italy supplied AHM (which, I believe, is now IHC) with the 16-wheel Lincoln funeral car back in the 1970s. Rivarossi also supplied AHM's Virginia & Truckee locomotives and rolling stock.

I've had one of the funeral cars since I was a kid, back in the '70s. I believe today the models are pretty rare. I've seen them go for heaps of money when they come up for auction on eBay.

The beginning of this week I won one, which will be by second Lincoln car, for a mere $26 USD. I'm still scratching my head over how that happened.  ???

Currently there is another Lincoln funeral car listed on eBay, if anyone is interested.  :)

toklap

One AHM Ho scale Lincoln Funeral Car was sold on eBay today at 245.05.

Santa Fe buff

It has to be the paint job. That's outrageous. After that, I'd just make my own decals!

Anyway, shop victorious!

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: toklap on July 24, 2009, 12:11:01 AM
One AHM Ho scale Lincoln Funeral Car was sold on eBay today at 245.05.

I saw that. I was "watching" the listing just to see what the car would sell for. Considering that I got one dirt cheap (probably because it wasn't listed under Rivarossi or as the Lincoln funeral car--in other words, the seller didn't really know what he had), that seems a little ridiculous to me. But I guess at least two individuals really wanted that car very badly for the auction price to run up that way.

toklap

There is currently on eBay a Precision Scale Crown Lincoln Funeral Train O scale set at the starting bid at $2,700. The set consits of the 4-4-0 "Nashville locomotive, the funeral car, and the officer's car. Also includes a copy of the book "The Lincoln Funeral Train by Scott Trostel.

Stephen D. Richards

Check "Heirloom Trains" on line.  They may have what you'are looking for.     Stephen

Stephen D. Richards

Bachmann does do the Hawthorne sets.  I have the complete Police train.  Cheap locos but I fixed that!   ;D  Good detailing too.  The rest is close to Silver Series quality.   Stephen

Bigboy

Where does the Hawthorne Village train claim to be the Lincoln Funeral Train?

The web site says it is to commemorate the 200th anniversary of his birth.

Would a funeral train be gaudily painted with pictures of the deceased.?
Funerals of that period were especially sombre affairs with much black drapery and plumage on the carriage horses.

And have him standing on the observation platform in his trademark top hat? ;D

The Lincoln Funeral car was a 16 wheel special. I believe it was an experimental car recently built by the fledgeling Pullman Company as a development exercise to find a sleeping car which gave an improved standard of ride over the primitive trackage of the period. This proved to be a not the succes hoped for and was not pursued any further.

The need at the time was for something a bit special and available at short notice and that one was on hand and filled the bill.

Hope this helps,
Alex

scottychaos

Just on case its not totally clear, that Hawthorne Village Collectables train:

http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-917342.jsp?_Trains/_prod/_/_/_132/_1063/_/_Y&endeca=true&abbr=trai

is NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING like the actual, historic Lincoln Funeral Train..

IMO, all those Hawthorne sets are hideously awful, and WAY overpriced..but to each their own I guess..

but yes..please note..its NOTHING like the real train!  :P :P

not even close..

IMO, those hawthorne sets would be more valuable, and look much better, if you stripped off all the paint!  ;)

(I dont think Bachmann has anything to do with those sets..other than making the undecorated trains..I think Hawthorne paints them themselves..(or has them painted somewhere..probably China..but I dont think Bachmann actually paints them...could be wrong though..)

Scot

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Bigboy on August 05, 2009, 06:50:23 PM
The Lincoln Funeral car was a 16 wheel special. I believe it was an experimental car recently built by the fledgeling Pullman Company as a development exercise to find a sleeping car which gave an improved standard of ride over the primitive trackage of the period. This proved to be a not the succes hoped for and was not pursued any further.

The need at the time was for something a bit special and available at short notice and that one was on hand and filled the bill.

The received wisdom used to be that the car was built by the U.S. Military Railroads in its shops in Alexandria, Virginia--for sure there is a famous photo of the car coupled to a beautiful Mason 4-4-0 named the "W.H. Whiton"--but it's been years since I read anything on the subject, so perhaps more information on the car's origins has come to light.

Legend had it that the car had 16 wheels to support its weight because it was armor-plated, but I don't think that's true. But I don't know for sure.

simkon

I saw a program on the history channel, that briefly touched on the Lincoln funeral car, and it is in fact armor-plated among other unique features.

RAM

The Lincoln Funeral car did indeed have 16 wheels.  If you do a google search you can see pictures of it. The Hawthorne Village Collectables train has nothing to do Lincoln Funeral train.  It is just a set for Bicentennial. Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Express Collection

Bigboy

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on September 03, 2009, 03:10:55 PM
Quote from: Bigboy on August 05, 2009, 06:50:23 PM
The Lincoln Funeral car was a 16 wheel special. I believe it was an experimental car recently built by the fledgeling Pullman Company as a development exercise to find a sleeping car which gave an improved standard of ride over the primitive trackage of the period. This proved to be a not the success hoped for and was not pursued any further.

The received wisdom used to be that the car was built by the U.S. Military Railroads in its shops in Alexandria, Virginia--for sure there is a famous photo of the car coupled to a beautiful Mason 4-4-0 named the "W.H. Whiton"--but it's been years since I read anything on the subject, so perhaps more information on the car's origins has come to light.

Legend had it that the car had 16 wheels to support its weight because it was armor-plated, but I don't think that's true. But I don't know for sure.

You're quite right. My statement was made off the top of my head, powered by my somewhat faulty memory.
I've since checked on Google and found several relevant sites.

This one shows a well researched model of the car. Which is indeed NOTHING like the Hawthorne Village stuff.
http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/news/train.htm

And this one about the train and events relevent to the funeral.
http://home.att.net/~rjnorton/Lincoln41.html

Hope this helps,
Alex

toklap

Ozark Mountain Railcar is reportedly selling Lincoln's Funeral Car for $6,000 even though on their website they say there is no way to prove it.