Main Menu

Lincoln Funeral train

Started by toklap, October 01, 2008, 12:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Johnson Bar Jeff

For anyone who might be interested, there are two Lincoln cars up for auction on eBay right now.

rich1998

i just saw this on the mr forums. the car was not armor plated not with huge windows
mr feb 1995 has a article about it with o scale pictures.
one gy posted many links about it with accurate information not hearsay
lex

simkon

Quote from: lexon on September 14, 2009, 09:51:55 PM
i just saw this on the mr forums. the car was not armor plated not with huge windows
mr feb 1995 has a article about it with o scale pictures.
one gy posted many links about it with accurate information not hearsay
lex
No, I distinctly recall the History Channel saying it was armor plated. So do you think the History channel is wrong? According to them... the whole car is not armor-plated though, only part of it is.

rich1998

that might be so ihave whites book
i copied this from another site
=================================================
I looked up Lincoln's private car/funeral car in John White's The American Railroad Passenger Car and it seems the car was not armor plated, according to two car builders who helped build the car, and wrote up their accounts in the 1890's.  While the presence or absence of armor plate make no difference to model builders, it should be known that the armor plate  on or in this car is a "myth", according to White.  He further calls it a "foolish tale", but that seems overstated.  If it were armored, it would have been with boiler plate. Heat treated, armor quality steel was not required to defeat pistol and rifle bullets of the Civil War era, nor had any special-treatment armor steel really been invented yet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the only reason for 16 wheels was smoother ride
car makers thought two six wheel trucks were better with a longer wheel base.
lex

toklap

Another AHM Pocher Lincoln Funeral Train Car was sold on eBay today at $235.75.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: toklap on February 02, 2010, 11:08:59 PM
Another AHM Pocher Lincoln Funeral Train Car was sold on eBay today at $235.75.

I always put them on "watch" when I see them, just to see what they go for. It's pretty amazing sometimes. Whatever someone is willing to pay to get it when it's listed.

Apparently the AHM/Pocher model was not the first. I saw two listed recently that had a bit more detail than the AHM model--"curtains" in the windows and "United States" on the post between the windows at the center of the car. Unfortunately I'm having a senior moment at present and can't remember the name of the manufacturer.  :-[

BaltoOhioRRfan

at the Great Scale Model Train Show this dealer had one, for $90 and it had a few things wrong with it. I heard someone try to talk him down to $50 since it had broken couplers and a few scratches and the orginal box was a bit messed up.  I'd like to get one but I doubt I will unless Bachmann or Roundhouse does a set or just the car.

The Lincoln Funeral Train is where I got the idea to put a picture of my fallen dog on a Locomotive. I just haven't added any bunting yet. Anyoen know where to get black tissue paper?

I want to paint up some roundhouse observations(i'm hoping to find some at the Great Scale Model Train Show this weekend) In B&O with a picture of her on them. The ball you see on the flat car(which i want to get another one so i can glue on a frame to hold the ball on it) is the one she used to love to play fetch with.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on February 03, 2010, 05:57:12 PM
Anyone know where to get black tissue paper?

Have you tried a party supply store, or a craft place like A.C. Moore, or Michael's?

toklap

Last February 8, A Granite monument was erected at the Amtrak station in Springfield, Illinois marking the site where the Lincoln Funeral Train arrived in May 1865.