News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my authearn c44-9

Started by dynamisbrowser1, October 27, 2008, 05:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynamisbrowser1

It shorts out whenever i put a chip in it and try to program/check it.
Any help would be apreciated.

dynamisbrowser1

Does anyone need any info/pictures? If so: contact me at meguell3@hotmail.com     Thanks, Jeff

Yampa Bob

Jeff,
It's very hard to give suggestions based on the limited information you have given. What brand and type of decoder, plug in or hardwired, was the loco working before you installed the decoder, is the decoder installed correctly? At this point, all we can advise is to check everything thoroughly, review the manual for proper procedures, then provide more detailed information if you still have problems.

You need to develop some basic troubleshooting skills if you plan to operate digital command locomotives. Obtaining and learning the use of an inexpensive digital multimeter would also be helpful. 

Technically, the digital device you installed is not a "chip", it is a "Decoder" with a micro processor.  It really is important to use proper terminology when communicating with other railroad modelers, especially in the realm of digital command control systems. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

One thing, was the locomotive DCC ready when you bought it? That would mean that the brushes to the motor are isolated and insulated from the rest of the motor and the frame