News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Auxiliary Water Tenders

Started by Trains Again, March 14, 2007, 07:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trains Again

I am wondering if Bachmann can produce Auxiliary Water Tenders with different kinds of road names.     i.e:  UP, SP, WP, ext.   I have a Marklin Trix Big Boy, and it would really look great to have a yellow Auxiliary Water Tender behind it  :)

lanny

I have a Bachmann Spectrum aux. water tender ... I am pretty sure its patterned after an N & W water tender. However I purchased it 'undecorated' (that is with no numbering or anything) to try to 'bash' it into an IC water tender.

I haven't tried to do anything with it yet, but depending on what you want your water tender to look like, an "undec Spectrum water tender" seems like a great place to start.

I purchased mine about a year and a half ago, but assume they are still available.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

lanny

One other thing I should have mentioned about the aux water tender. On the ICRR, at least, I don't think there was any lettering ('road name', etc.) that I can see, on them. Just a small number. Perhaps the same is true of other railroads ... maybe your water tender just doesn't need a road name or even a large number to be 'prototypical' appearing?

lanny nicolet

Stephen Warrington

The Bachmann Water tender is a N&W prototype, the ones I have seen for the UP had rounded ends on them if I remember correctly.

Lanny ICRR's water tenders were basically old locomotive tenders so they varied all over the system. I have seen photos of some that looked like they came off of old 2-6-0s and some huge ones from 2-10-2's most of them did have a number on the side with a X in front of it if I remember correctly and some of them carried the same number as the locomotive they belonged too.I remember seeing in a book (forgot the title) of a ICRR 2500 class with a water tender numbered same as the locomotive. How common this was I have no clue.

Stephen

Virginian

UP's tenders are pretty unique, and if I remember correctly, the ones they use in excursion service are ex-turbine unit fuel tanks.  I do not recall having seen an authentic UP steam era auxiliary water tender.
The Bachmann ones are generally patterned after N&W prototypes (and they just killed the brass aux. tender market).
"What could have happened... did."

lanny

Thanks for the ICRR info, Stephen.

Maybe that Bachmann water tender I have will go on eBay :-). It shouldn't be hard to bash a water car from an old tender!

lanny nicolet

Nigel

A passable UP A-tank can be bashed from two Bowser #150001 SP-1 Semi-Vanderbilt Tender Kits, join two rear sections together.

A similar conversion could probably done with some of the tenders Bachmann sells, such as this one:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1144
Though it does look a little light.

The Spectrum A-tank is an excellent match for the N&W prototype, down to the unique trucks.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Trains Again

Quote from: Nigel on March 14, 2007, 09:59:32 PM
A passable UP A-tank can be bashed from two Bowser #150001 SP-1 Semi-Vanderbilt Tender Kits, join two rear sections together.

A similar conversion could probably done with some of the tenders Bachmann sells, such as this one:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1144
Though it does look a little light.

The Spectrum A-tank is an excellent match for the N&W prototype, down to the unique trucks.
Nah. Wouldn't work for what I need. Bachmann would pretty much have to recreate a whole new tender if they decided to make some in UP.

r0bert

JFYI, the ex-turbine tenders,

have just been rebuilt into this

and are now much closer to the N&W style, then the original turbine tenders.

Trains Again

Oh how strange! When did they rebuild them like that? Thats really interesting. Thank you for showing that :)

r0bert

pics taken just over the last summer, pic of turbine tender 809 taken in may 2006, and  rebuilt 814 in sept, 2006, both at Kansas City Union Station
814 was done over winter 2005/2006, and 809 is being rebuilt now
entire album can be seen at
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/river_eagle/UP-844/

r0bert

Trains Again

Very cool. With the new one they have now.....I could almost get an undecorated Bachmann Aux tender and repaint it as UP.

Would that work, or is Bachmann's Aux tender still the wrong shape?

SteamGene

Remember that the auxillary water tender is an "end of steam" device.  As noted, almost all of them were bashed in company shops from retired tenders, removing the fuel bunker and converting the entire tender to hold water. 
Yes, I'm almost positive that the UP A tenders come from turbine fuel tanks and are all excursion devices.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Trains Again

Quote from: SteamGene on March 15, 2007, 05:19:34 PM
Remember that the auxillary water tender is an "end of steam" device.  As noted, almost all of them were bashed in company shops from retired tenders, removing the fuel bunker and converting the entire tender to hold water. 
Yes, I'm almost positive that the UP A tenders come from turbine fuel tanks and are all excursion devices.
Gene

Interesting. It must have been the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

Can Bachmann build some of these? Do you know if any other company has built Auxiliary water tenders?