decoder install instructions for Bachmann standard 0-6-0

Started by hotrainlover, November 24, 2008, 08:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy

Bob
That  Bachman mogul is a very nice running loco .I have one in my stable.If you are interested in a Challenger go to Athern Genesis . The sound in my opinion is awesome If you can run it through an area that will give a bit of an echo it increases the illusion of reality.
Don

pdlethbridge

dear htl, I have tried to install decoders in several Athearn units, GP's, SW's and a u25b. I was really at a disadvantage doing it one handed and to me it really is not worth my time to try again. In analog they were not all that great running and they were the same with DCC. Problem I had was fitting the Digitrax DH 123 under their hoods without popping wires. They were lettered for the B&M and would have looked right in place along side my MEC locos. I really wasn't trying to tell you not to install decoders in those units, only stating the problems I had with them. Again, to me they were not worth the time to fiddle with. My next project will be to convert 2 Bowser steamers to DCC. An old lady 2-8-0 and a USRA mike. Both have the upgraded DCC friendly motors. I've had the 2-8-0 running but its now in the paint and decal shop to get B&M heralds. The mike will be MEC. Again, These units have nice big tenders that will have enough room for a sound decoder and speaker.

Yampa Bob

Actually, I have no immediate plans for buying any more locomotives.  The 44 tonner filled my roster with everything I need. I am also culling my cars, and about 30 of them will be departing here soon.

However I would like at least one steamer with sound. As you noticed in another thread, I am currently bashing a Connie into an 0-8-0T.  A micro-tsunami fits nicely in the oil tank, and I plan on installing twin speakers in the front tanks (one on each side). I want the sound source to be realistic as possible.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hotrainlover

pdlethbridge,
There is no ruffled feathers at my end...  I am sorry my post came off that way.  One thing I have started doing is to use Z-scale decoders in all my locos.  There is not much room in most of them!!!

Thanks for the response.