News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler Dumb Question

Started by OTB, December 01, 2008, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

I have a big hauler that was purchased at OSH about 4 years ago.  I have never set it up and was going to set it up last night and found there are no instructions.  I assume you use the little black plastic strips to snap the track together, but they are a bear to put on and some just plain don't fit.  There are a bunch of other connectors in there, but don't know where they go.  And the pickup doesn't seem to snap on the track correctly.  Am I just dumb, or is this train really that hard to set up.

Also, I finally got the track set up in a circle (just curved track) without snapping together, but train just falls off track.  I don't see a way to keep all wheels on track when configured in a circle.

I was so angry last night after spending 3 hours messing around with this that I almost threw out window.  Any help would be appreciated.  When I get home this evening I can see if there is any marking to tell me what model it is.

Thanks in advance,
OTB

OTB

It is called the North Pole Express Item #90044..can I at least get a link to the instructions?

Paul W.

OTB,
Sometimes it's best to just walk away for awhile. It's actually really easy. The clips that came with it are two different ones. I may be slightly off as it's been awhile since I used them, but some are for straight to straight, and others are for curved (or something like that), but they are slightly different.
As for your engine falling off, what are you trying to set it on? I use nothing but curves around our Christmas tree each year with no problems.
Lets see if we can get you running ;D

The clip goes over the outer edge, then you pull it slightly and it will then snap onto the inner flange.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

OTB

Thanks for the reply.  I will pull out all the clips and see if I find a slight difference in the straight ones.  There are also some that have a lever that turns a hook. 

I was trying to get them to snap between the tracks, and some would snap and some just would bend and felt like they would break.

It is set up on hard wood floor around tree.

Mike

HINT- Look at the writing on the outside edge of the clips.- Mike

OTB

Will look at them now.  Does anyone know what the clips that swing are?  And there were some metal clips that looked similar to a flat paperclip.

kevin2083

Those are extra rail joiners in case something happens. Be careful and try not to step on the track. The rails are hollow and WILL bend. That's one of those wonderful things I learned so you don't have to.

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

OTB

Thanks for the help.  Finally got it set up last night.  The biggest help was looking at the side of the clips to see that there were two different sizes (thanks Mike), that and having a bit more patience.  Wish it had a whistle.

Actually thinking of adding more track now that it is working.  What size track does this use?

Mike

OTB- I have a bunch of the track. Click on my name above and send me an e-mail if you would like to get some from me (for indoor use only)... or you can get some brass, aluminum, or stainless steel track for outdoor use.- Mike

OTB

Next Question.  Does this train have some sort of time shutoff?  If I just let it run for about 20 minutes, it will all of a sudden stop.  The train is not derailed.  If I start it later, it runs again.

I am thinking that maybe the transformer overheats at some point and stops it.  Is this a feature or a problem?

Paul W.

OTB,
It's your power pack. It has internal protection which will trip if it overheats, once it cools down, it resets itself and allows you to continue running. Glad to hear you are up and running!
Happy Steamin'

Paul