News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

scale matching

Started by lrparks, December 04, 2008, 10:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lrparks

Would the Jackson Sharp Full Baggage Car look right behind a 2-6-0 Mogul? Not sure of the scales. Also, what cabooses would match?

the Bach-man

Dear LR,
The passenger cars are 1:22.5, and the loco is 1:20.3, but since the loco is a small prototype it will look fine. Accucraft makes really nice 1:20.3 passenger cars, but they may look rather large with the Mogul, even though they're the correct scale.
Out EBT caboose is a large caboose in 1:22.5, but looks fine with your mogul. Our soon-to-be released 1:20.3 D&RG caboose will look rather large with the 2-6-0, even though it's the correct scale.
The bottom line is: run what looks good to you!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Kevin Strong

"Right" is in the eye of the beholder. The 2-6-0 (and it's 4-4-0 cousin) is a model of a small, c. 1876 locomotive. When coupled to a scale 1:20 passenger car, it is somewhat dwarfed by the car.

This isn't the most well-composed shot, but it does show the relationship between a 1:20 passenger car and the locomotive (in this case, the 4-4-0). The edge of the cab roof isn't quite as high as the top edge of the letterboard on the passenger car.

This shot shows the difference in the width. The 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are around 7' wide. The passenger car behind it is just over 8' wide, which is typical of most post-1880 narrow gauge passenger equipment. Some people say that looks strange--to see a locomotive dwarfed by the cars behind it. It is, however, very common on narrow gauge railroads.

Having said that, the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0--being models of smaller locomotives--do work out fairly well for medium-sized locomotives in 1:22.5, which is the scale of the Bachmann J&S coaches.

Here's the Bachmann 4-4-0 pulling a string of 1:22.5 cars (a box car and LGB coaches). Note how the roof of the cab is actually taller than the cars. It's not objectionable in my opinion, so if you're doing 1:22.5, then it will fit in quite well.

Now, if you're a devout 1:20.3 modeler, then the Bachmann J&S coaches will be way too small. Here are some comparison shots of a 1:20.3 car compared to the B'mann car.

The doorways on the B'mann car are far too short for a 1:20.3 person to fit through. The same would hold true for the cabooses. Both of Bachmann's cabooses (the bobber and 8-wheel car) are 1:22.5, and suffer similar deficiencies when it comes to actually fitting a 1:20.3 person into them. Aesthetically they may look "okay," but from a scale perspective, they're too small.

The truth of the matter is that most regular-service narrow gauge passenger trains were not that long. Most ran between 2 and 4 cars. On a railroad with any kind of steep grade, that length of train would be the practical maximum for a locomotive the size of the 2-6-0 or 4-4-0 anyway. I'd rather see two Accucraft passenger cars behind the 2-6-0 than five B'mann cars. I think it's just a more typical look.

Here's a video of one such passenger train on my railroad. (Neither of the cars are Accucraft's, but are both 1:20)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziHN8JaMi3I

Later,

K

Paul W.

Kevin,
Thanks for the comparison. You really don't notice how much difference there is until they are side by side (or on top each other.... ;D)

Your video is great as well, it's always fun to see your work
Happy Steamin'

Paul

az2rail

I have to agree with Paul here. The video was fun to watch, and the comparison photos really show the size difference.

My buddy runs a 1:20.3 connie, and uses Aristo-craft cars. They are even smaller, but as long as you don't mix and match another scale in there, it does'nt look that bad. Personally, I am sticking with all 1:20.3 equiptment.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.