News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Combining DCC and DC Trains on the same run

Started by lwmlwm44, December 08, 2008, 08:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

Howdy I hope this question/concept doesn't sound dumb but it is something I was thinking about and if it is doable.

I currently have a large DCC Track Run that covers the majority of a 10 ft x 12 ft bench and goes upward to a upper level a bit smaller in size.

I also have on this bench a smaller run of train that I run my regular old timey DC or I guess analog is the same thing type trains.

My large DCC run is a Bachman set up with Flex Track and 2 DCC Controlled switches at this time.

My question is what if I wanted to be able to connect the DC and dcc lines together.   Where I would want to run my old timey engines on the DCC track.   I Know the engines won't work with the Bachmann DCC Controler and I must use the regular transformers for theolder engines to control speed and direction.........also that I cannot run my DCC engines on the regular DC track which I don't plan on trying anyway.

Would it be possible to wire both the DCC Controller as well as the regular Transformer both to the DCC Run.    Using switches to turn the power off and on as desired for each control unit.   Could I have a section of track that connect both the DCC Track run and the DC run but would be insulated from each section.    I would run the DC engine onto this section using the DC Transformer and when it was there turn off the DCC unit to the DCC section and turn on the DC switch from the DC Transformer to this DCC track run.   Then i would continue to run the DC older engine on to the DCC TRack run and when finished doing that reverse the situation to get it back over to the regular DC Track section.

I hope I have made this clear and you get my drift as to what I would like to try if possible.........has anyone else combined running of both DC and DCC engines on the same line.    I know the DCC switches will not work when the DCC unit is off and am using the DC power from the old transformer to power the engines on the run.     In this case I may remove the DCC switches and use regular Bachmann switches as they will work with either DCC or DC engines to my understanding........the difference being I will have to use a switch control by hand rather than the DCC style of switching.

Larry  in St. Louis

Running Bear

DCC and DC get along like two tom cats in a sack. Not at all! If you're set on having the two layouts join have a section of dead track between them. This track can be connected to a center-off DPDT switch so it can be energized from the DC layout or the DCC layout but not both at once.
Running Bear

Hunt

Never have the power from a DC power pack and the E-Z Command Control Center on the same track at same time! Also, never use more than one E-Z Command Control Center on a layout.

However, the E-Z Command Control Center can control the analog (DC) locomotive, using address 10, on same track while running digital (DCC) locomotives using address 1 to 9.
Click http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ezcommand.php?ezpage=1

lwmlwm44

Thanks for the info.........yes am aware cann't run both DC and DCC at the same time but planned on using the dead track as suggested to move engines back and forth from and switching the current from DC to DCC or the reverse.

Intersting about running a DC engine on station 10 though.......are you saying I can run both a DC and DCC engine at the same time this way as long as my DCC is on say station 1 and the DC engine on 10.

Using this method would I be able to control the speed and direction of the DC Engine even though it has no DCC electronics in it.........unerstood that the power to the track via DCC was a constant and could not be increased or decreased to speed up or slow down a engine.   The DC engines are older ones that I bought in the late 1960s and run very well for their age.

Larry

lwmlwm44

sorry about the terminology in my last post.........make that address instead of station

Gotta get use to these new confangled DCC terms.

Larry

SteamGene

One important aspect is you must not let a DC loco sit on DCC powered track.  Running it will work, but sitting will not.  Of course a DC loco can sit on DC track as long as you don't give power to the track. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lwmlwm44

Thans ever so much to all for all the help and links furnished.   Looking forward to trying it.

Hope everyone has a great Holiday Season and Happy Model Rairoading to All.

Larry