News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sierra sound in 2-6-6-2

Started by locoron, December 31, 2008, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanAmes

9 volts should keep the battery charged.  You might want to check with soundtraxx on what might be preventing the charge.

You can always use the LGB trick of lowering the voltage to the motor.  You likely would need one rectifier and a diode per motor.

This will drop the voltage to the motor by about 2 volts

Cut one lead to the motor.  Wire the two ends of the wire to the AC leads of the rectifier.  Install the diode  between the + and the - leads of the rectifier.  Use 4 amp parts.

But before I would go tp this step I would check directly with soundtraxx on how much voltage you need to keep the battery fully charged.

Hope that helps

Stan

Phil Stump

I think I finally have it. The batt. I am using is a home assembled 5 cell pack. I made the pack up from cells I got on sale. It took a charge as well as any, but apparently it was not holding the charge very well. After cycling the pack a few times it is now working much better. Amazing how the perception of a problem can be clouded by looking for glitches in all the wrong places rather the obvious. I ran 5 & 1/2 hrs. today at various speeds from a slow crawl to moving it right along. When I cked. the batt. I got 6.35 volts at the end of the day. This is with out a doubt one of the best engines I have. It will see a lot of track time this summer.