News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC 2-8-0

Started by Frisco, February 21, 2009, 02:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

Hi, would it be possible to take a DCC equiped 2-8-0 and swap a DCC ready(vanderbilt Med) tender with the factory one? Thanks,
Ryan

SteamGene

It is a marriage made in the Round House. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Hi Ryan,
I'm guessing Gene means "Yes", but will elaborate anyway.

A few "ifs"..If your locomotive is a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 DCC equipped, with a USRA Medium tender,  and if you order the Bachmann Medium Vanderbilt tender part number 899xx, and if you use a genuine Bachmann decoder (swap from the USRA), then it will probably work, provided the Vandy is a current release and not one stored in a warehouse for 5 years.

Genuine Bachmann decoders are designed to be compatible with the noise suppression circuitry on the printed circuit board. Therefore I only use Bachmann decoders in Bachmann locomotives.  If you use another brand decoder the circuit board might require modifying by clipping capacitors and bypassing coils.

There are two more caveats, though rare. Some Spectrum 2-8-0 have the motor wires switched, compensated by also switching motor output wires in the tender. Also, the tender wheels of the replacement may not be oriented to match the loco pickup wiring, and/or the tender incorrectly wired, creating a short. I know as I have personally worked on such a locomotive and tender.

Suggest reviewing the following thread which illustrates the wiring and pinouts if you experience any problems making the switch.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Frisco

Okay, thank you. I just ordered a Rock Island 2-8-0 and Southern Pacific Med Vanderbuilt tender off the Favorite Spot last night. I'll let you know how it works when it comes.

Yampa Bob

You're welcome Ryan.  Please keep us posted on your progress, and report any glitches you may encounter. As Bachmann continues to upgrade their products, it's an ongoing learning process for all of us.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.