Bad loco - returned to Bachmann - 6 weeks later comes back...still broken?

Started by buzzard975, April 16, 2009, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzard975

I immediately had issues with a new GP40 with DCC on board.  Was very loud, and you would hit the throttle it would stall for a second, then jump.  And at anything but top speed it would run at very inconstant speed.  My other DCC loco ran fine on same track, so I know the loco was bad.  Anyway,  sent in warranty card within a week.  Within a few weeks sent loco back with copy of receipt.  I gave them my number and email, but never heard anything.  After a month began to wonder if they got it.  At 6 weeks, it finally came back.  I went to test it and...surprise, exact same thing.  They sent an invoice that said something about replacement GP40 DCC bla bla bla  N/C Ginny.  I have no idea what N/C means, but they obviously didn't fix it.  Does it mean Not Covered?  It was brand new and I sent warranty card AND copy of the receipt.  Its difficult for me to make a call during the day, so I emailed them 2 days ago and told them everything above.  And true to Bachmann form, I still don't have a reply.  I have never seen such poor customer service in my life.   At this point I have no confidence whatsoever it will ever be fixed by them.  Even if they do, it has already been 2 months and I've had to spend money to ship it to them once, and would have to do it again.  I know I'm not adding anything as this board is already full of Bachmann customer service horror stories.  But I'd be remiss not to warn others.  Oh, and by the way, the first time I contacted them about sending it back - I filled out the service request form three times on their website, then sent 2 emails and waited 2 or 3 days before I got a response.   In the last email I told them it was the 5th time I'd tried to contact them.  When they finally responded there was no "Sorry about the slow response..." or "We apologize for the delay in getting back to you..."  It was just "Send your loco to bla bla bla.  Here are the prices for repair bla bla bla.  If I was running a company that treated customers that way, I'd fire anybody who treated a customer like that

Jim Banner

Welcome to the world of electronics.  I think you may have run into one of the most frustrating problems that can happen to an electronics tech - the item works perfectly on test but won't perform in the field.

I went through a similar problem with a hybrid locomotive run by a Digitrax decoder.  This was not long after I switched to Digitrax.  This particular locomotive went crazy when I ran it on one particular section of my railroad.  Out of the locomotive, the decoder tested perfect on my decoder tester.  On a circle of test track, the locomotive with that particular decoder in it ran just fine.  Installing that decoder in another locomotive, it still had a problem on the one section of the layout.  Finally decided it was because I was still using the old wiring left over from my dc days.  So I set the locomotive and its recalcitrant decoder aside until I upgraded the wiring to DCC standards.  After the upgrade, the problem STILL EXISTED!!  All the rest of my DCC locomotives and all the locomotives that I have installed decoders in for other people have run perfectly through that one section.

My point is this - if I send that decoder back to Digitrax, their tests are not going to show a problem with it, any more than my decoder or test track did.  If all I told them when it sent it back was that it was broken, they would rightly answer that it is not, and send it back to me.  But if I sent it back with a letter describing all the tests I did (as I have outlined to you above) then I expect they would send me a new decoder.

It occurs to me as I write that I have not retested that locomotive and decoder since I upgraded my Digitrax to an 8 amp command station.  I must do so, and see if that cured the problem. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

kevin2083

I had problems with some MRC decoders randomly changing addresses. I just wrote a letter to MRC and sent them back, and within 2 weeks had new decoders. But, it took almost 2 months for me to get back my Bachmann 70 tonner that came out of the box with a defective decoder. Still loud as ever and doesn't work right, but I don't feel like sending it in again.

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Jim Banner

Kevin, you might check this decoder with your new Zephyr.  The "not running right" may be a result of the wrong number of speed steps.  As far as the noise is concerned, all Bachmann decoders are noisy.  They make the motor buzz a bit, and in some locomotives, that comes out sounding like a lot. 

If you decide to replace the decoder, try something like a Digitrax DZ125 which is an ultrasonic "silent" decoder and includes back emf control.  BEMF control is great in switchers and does wonders for low speed performance.  IMHO, the BEMF control is worth the price of the decoder by itself.  Just don't forget to remove the capacitors across the motor in your 70 tonner or the DZ125 will have problems too.

edit: I should have asked you, and Buzzard too, whether the problem running happens all over the layout or just in one area.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rustyrails

Bachmann's decoders are "dual mode" decoders...that is, they will allow the loco to run on a DC layout (analog control).  When a dual mode decoder is run in DCC mode, it can behave erratically.  Dual mode is controlled by CV29.  The 2-Bit enables or disables this "feature."  The Bachmann decoder "manual" is not much more than a data sheet.  Your DCC system manual ought to have a section that explains programming decoders.  If you need help with the binary math, drop me a note.  Also see above for info on speed steps.
Rusty

buzzard975

The problem occurs all throughout the track.  It does it in both DC and DCC modes.  I recently cleaned the entire track, and my other Bachmann DCC trains and old Athearn PA's all run great.

HO-Ron

" I have no idea what N/C means, but they obviously didn't fix it.  Does it mean Not Covered?  "

It means "No Charge".

Based on your results I would say that there are problems with the engine wiring contacts. Just a guess.  :-\
Might be a solder joint is not quite right as in "cold solder joint"

You can check for this by looking at the various wires and seeing if the solder join looks "grey". That would be an indication of a cold solder joint. The joint should look bright silver.

Hope this helps.... :)

HO-Ron

Regards, Ron

RickWillison

I have switched all my Bachmann DCC Decoders to NCE DCC decoders
Smoother braking on inclines, Much Quieter and I like NCE
I had some issues with my Bachmann decoders running erratically thus the change.
And no more issues.

hawaiiho

For the most part, my experiences with Bachmann warranty service has been quite good.  Fortunately, as current Quality Control is another matter.

I had one replacement steam loco have a mechanical failure after less than an hour of use, but that can happen with anything mechanical.

My only real complaint is Bachmann's use of regular Parcel Post for return shipments. The average time from the date Bachmann told me the shipment was made until I received the package has be 3 and 1/2 weeks.  I was told the  replacement for the loco mentioned above was shipped on March 30. It has still not arrived.

To give folks a reference, we ship quite a bit of packages back and forth between Honolulu and Los Angeles. We use USPS Priority Mail and that is averaging 10 days from LA to Honolulu---slightly less for packages shipped from Honolulu to LA.

I couldn't begin to imagine using Parcel Post, but that is what Bachmann chooses to use to ship from the East Coast to Hawaii.

Go Figure.