News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 Comparison

Started by rayport, May 08, 2009, 04:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayport

I have the outside frame 4-4-0 which has to be as close to a perfect model as can be obtained, it's only drawback is it's length. Just a tad too long for some of my situations.
Am wondering if one of you with both the inside and outside frame versions can report if the inside frame version has the same sweet running, silent, mechanism and estimate just how much shorter it is. Thanks.

Hamish K

According to a thread on 29 and 30 March 2009 below, the inside frame 4-4-0 is 9 5/8 inches long, compared to 11 3/4 inches for the outside frame.

Hamish

rayport

Hamish : thanks for the information. The length would work just fine for me - but I would rather change the track configuration on the branches than concede performance. Like the 2-8-0 the outside frame 4-4-0 purrs along so smoothly and quietly that I would sooner switch than give up that performance. Anyone any observations on performance?

Tim

Ray

I have two of the inside frame 4-4-0's, and I can tell
you that indeed they run as well and as quiet as
the one you have.

go for it!

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

railtwister

Both of the 4-4-0's are good runners. Any performance edge the O-F may have over the I-F will be because the O-F is longer and heavier, so it has a slightly larger electrical footprint and slightly more traction. To me, the proportions look a bit better on the I-F, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure if you were to get your hands on one of the I-F units, you'd be happy with it, and it would go well as a companion to the O-F loco you already have. That said, it almost sounds like you really are looking for a reason to re-do your trackage and use larger curves & sidings, and if that's really the case, I would suggest you go ahead and do it. Everything will probably operate better as a result, and you won't have to wonder "what if"...

Regards,
Bill

dani

The IF 4-4-0 looks very small compared to 2-8-0 and OF 4-4-0, but are perfect with Bachmann box car and for 19th century.

It runs very very well, silent, smooth and very elegant.

I recommend it!
Daniele
Sand Creek RR - www.mynarrowgauge.org

rayport

Thanks everyone, the order has already been placed. Glad to hear your high opinions because the OF is so great.