News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Automatic HO Uncouplers

Started by lwmlwm44, May 03, 2009, 07:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

I am the first to admit that I am new to alot of Model Railroading.   I have a Bachmann DCC layout with EZ track grey roadbed and also have a run using Atlas track code 100.    I would like to put in some uncouplers for both sets of tracks and would like to have automatic uncouplers if such a critter exists.    I see some types of uncouplers on Ebay and not for sure how they work.    If I remember correctly years ago there was a uncoupler type track that had 2 narrow wires between the track that when you stopped the car over it and I think you had to back up the train a bit and they go forward, the car would uncouple.   

I would like to know if there are any automatic uncouplers that I can get where they may be activated from my control panel where my transformers are.   Or what kind of uncouplers are available that would work with my EZ track and atlas...........knowing the same kind may not work on both tracks due to the built in roadbed on the EZ Track.

What types of uncouplers do you folks use on your bench.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Larry

rustyrails

The knuckle-type couplers that have become the de facto standard for HO trains are based on a Kadee patent.  The original Kadees uncoupled with a mechanical ramp.  In the early 60's Kadee went to a magnetic ramp, the same design as is used today.

There are two basic uncoupling magnets.  One is glued between the rails, and there is a variant that gets buried under the roadbed.  These are permanet magnets that attract the "glad hands" that hang down from each coupler.  IF there is slack in the couplers, the jaws will open and the cars will uncouple.  The problem is that we can't always control exactly how much slack is in our couplers at any given time, and as a result, false uncouplings can occur.  The second uncoupler is an electro-magnet that is buried in the roadbed.  It is normally activated by a button on the control panel and will not cause false uncouplings.

There is also a DCC operated coupler that is sometimes seen on locomotives.  It works by lifting the coupler enough to let the jaws slip over each other

There is another option.  You can move around with your train, throw switches by hand, and uncouple manually.  You'll feel more like you're operating your train.  I use a McDonald coffee stirrer with the end filed to a point.  A small screwdriver also works.

Hope this helps.
Rusty

Tylerf

The good old bamboo skewer works great too.

hgcHO

Do a search with the word 'uncoupler'  = third box above.

Also "http://www.dccuncoupling.com/

Have fun

Harry

Jim Banner

Harry, those look neat.  Let's see - $70/car times 200 cars.  Hmmm.  I don't think so.  But it does start a fellow to thinking ...

In the meantime, I'll stick to skewers and magnets.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BestSnowman

I think a DCC uncoupler on engines, especially switchers, would be very useful.

But with the cost I don't know that it would be worth it for me. It also looks like it wouldn't fit in my 44 Ton switcher anyway, and I don't want to stick a permanent car to the front of it just for automatic uncoupling.

Fitting it to a dummy B unit though does sound interesting.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

lwmlwm44

Thanks for all the info and sites listed.    I did notice on the uncoupling site that you can only purchase cars with the auto uncouplers........did not see anything on the cost or availability of just the unit itself.    I don'twant to have to purchase cars with the unit installed and like folks said at that price it is a bit on the high side.

Its a shame Bachmann doesn't make a uncoupler track or unit of some type   I did not see any listed in the ez track section here.   

The magnetic ones sound good that can be activated by a switch on the control panel.

Where can I find more on them and purchase options.

Doing a uncoupling unit myself.............self building is not a good idea for me............not the worlds greatest in doing that sort of stuff and prefer to buy ready made units if possible.

Will do some more looking.........................to bad they don't have units like the old 0 gauge track where you had a uncoupling unit built in the traack that worked via a magneti.   
Manual uncoupling is not a good option for me as I have a hard time getting around my bench and prefer a automatic method of uncoupling cars.

Regards

Larry

rustyrails

Larry,
You can find info on Kadee uncoupling ramps here:

www.kadee.com

Also, the Walthers catalog is a good source of info on several different brands of couplers.

Sounds like your best bet is to glue magnets to the siding tracks where false uncoupling is not much of a problem and using the electromagnets on the main line.

Hope this helps,
Rusty

Chris350

Quote from: BestSnowman on May 04, 2009, 09:47:27 AM
Fitting it to a dummy B unit though does sound interesting.
I'm thinking a cow/calf switcher set up would be slick.

renniks

Quote from: lwmlwm44 on May 04, 2009, 03:41:45 PM

Its a shame Bachmann doesn't make a uncoupler track or unit of some type   I did not see any listed in the ez track section here.   

Larry,

You will find the Bachmann under track u/c magnets in E-Z Mate couplers page 2.  Can be used with both types of track.

Eric UK

lwmlwm44

Thanks Erik on the where the Bachmann items are ...........I looked there but must have missed them.    These old eyes arn't what they use to be

larry

train with no shame

Hi Larry , Yes automatic uncouplers would be nice . It's on my list of projects to invent one . from a 24v solenoid .
Don't do what i did . And change your Layout .And forget to take the Magnet out from your 9" in straight piece . On 2 pieces i did this . I would be running my trains .And would have rolling stock uncouple . And frustrating . Learned alot about gauging couplers .Changing them out .Turning cars around .To try and fix this problem .

I was doing some switching yesterday .And was watching my 70ton Switcher . And saw the the front coupler swing . I couldn't believe my eyes . Ran it around the layout again .And sure enough . I pulled the 9" straight up .And there was the magnet.  Low and behold fixed my problem  .  I even went as far as to remove , A few of my cars . The life of this Hobby and i love it ....regards   mark f

train with no shame

Opps .I do have the Magnets in , whats going to be my coal yard and wood pulp mill . For switching purposes . The Magnets that were giving me problems .Were in the Mainline of my layout . And i have just been toying around with a 24v solenoid off a 120v step down transformer. Attempting to see if it will work . And also trying to modify a Lionel automatic uncoupler . I just had some laying around ...

Jim Banner

trains with no shame, may I suggest buying one Kadee electric uncoupler?  I think you are on the right track with solenoids and Lionel uncouplers, but having one Kadee version in hand would give a lot of information about the length of the pole pieces and their spacing.  Too far apart and they don't produce a strong enough field to pull the glad hands outward.  Too close together and they pull the glad hands down but not apart.

Jim
0:06
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

Hi Mark

The first link is what the Kadee unit look like.
Some people are using a permanent magnet mounted under the layout that they push into position with a rod so there is no false uncoupling. They then pull on the rod to retract the magnet.
The Kadee uses quite a lot of current, the reason for the electroincs you see in the diagrams.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3344

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/p/148407/1645911.aspx

Rich