News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problems with 2-8-0

Started by hawaiiho, May 04, 2009, 04:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

I'm on my second Spectrum 2-8-0 DCC and neither one lasted 3 hours.  The first one, the forward rods on one side came apart.
The second one developed a loud grinding squeal first running forward, then backwards. Allowing for the time delay with Bachmann Service, I now have nearly three months invested. I'm running them on a loop with only straight track, 26" radius curves, and two #5 turnouts

Am I "snake bit" or is the 2-8-0 a problematic unit?

Pacific Northern

I sympathize with you, been there too with a faulty Spectrum engine.

This appears to be a major problem with the Spectrum steam engines. You either receive a great engine or you else you have a problem engine.

Somewhere along the line Bachmann needs to improve their quality control.

It appears to be the luck of the draw. I have a few of the Spectrum 2-8-0's and they all run great, no problems what so ever.

However, I did go through 2 in a row 2-10-0's that required repairs. The third engine was the lucky engine. It still runs great as do some other Spectrum 2-10-0's that I have.

The Spectrums are great engines, providing you are not unlucky enough to get stuck with a lemon.  All in all, given the price of these units and the warranty they are a bargain in comparison to the competition.   

I will still stick with the Spectrum steamers, despite these problems.
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

The group I model with has a layout at our local museum that uses these locomotives.  Most run just fine right out of the box but an occasional one needs lubrication before we can put it into service.  They all require lubrication every three months or so at the rate we run them, so an extra lubrication at the beginning of their lives is not a big deal.  They usually announce their lack of oil by squealing.

We have occasionally had early failures, but that would be in the hundreds of hours, not numbers we could count on one hand.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

grumpy

I have two 2-8-0 with sound that I consider to be excellent engines . Of the 20 or so that I run on a rotational basis I considers them my favourites but behind my
challenger.
Don