2-8-0 Spectrum Consolidation Problem - engine won't run

Started by CALRR, May 20, 2009, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CALRR

Purchased 2 Spectrum Consolidations with tsunami sound a month ago and just found the time to test run both.  One runs and sounds great... the other sounds great but the engine won't run.  The sound works, horn, bell, chuff...  but the engine itself won't move at all. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Yampa Bob

Hi CALRR,
Make sure the 4 pin socket from the locomotive is inserted fully into the tender connector. Two wires in this connector go to the motor, the other two for the headlight.

If the headlight is working, but not the motor, then you may have a loose or broken wire leading to the motor.

To aid in your troubleshooting, refer to the following thread, through the 6th post.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

Note in the second picture, the red and black wires (colors may vary) leading from the circuit board to the back of the 4 pin male connector. If you have a spare DC power pack, or even a 9 volt battery with leads, try to jump DC power directly to the motor.

To remove the tender shell, first remove the screw in the bottom. Swivel the front truck as shown for access to the screw. Lift the shell front up, then slide shell forward a bit to clear the two catches at the rear. DO NOT remove any wheels as they must be oriented as shown.

Another way to "jump" the motor (tender disconnected) is by connecting DC power to the two pins in the female socket on the locomotive, but you will need tiny wires to insert into the connector. (correct pin size is .015")

NOTE: This point should be obvious....all "jumping" mentioned above is done OFF the tracks.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.