News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mantua 2-6-6-2

Started by jerryl, May 15, 2009, 12:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

I have one, still in the box. Although I like the drawbar configuration with the wires within, i don't like this machine lacking the 8 pin connector I have gotten so used to.

Yampa Bob

Most Digitrax decoders, such as DH123P or DH123PS come with adapter harnesses. "P" indicates long harness with plug, "PS" for short length.

Digitrax also offers the JST 9 pin to NMRA 8 pin adapter harness as a separate item. Cost is about $5, available in one inch and three inch wire lengths.

Many companies now use JST 9 pin connectors, they have tighter contacts and are polarized to only connect one way. I predict the 8 pin socket and plug will be eventually phased out.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ta152h0

Hopefully they will have a standard wire color and location code that applies to all manufacturers. I don't know at what point the line is crossed between NMRA standards and proprietary design.

rustyrails

The rails are commonly thought of as the dividing line.  The command station, throttle and booster all are normally from the same manufactuerer and the DCC standard does not apply to how those units communicate with each other.  The rails carry the power to run the locomotive and the signal that tells the decoder what to do.  ALL decoders are suppose to understand those signals and respond appropriately. Decoders may have different feature sets, but they all speak the same language.
Rusty

Yampa Bob

As I mentioned in my thread "Pictures and Diagrams", the only consistency with wire colors is the inconsistency.

Decoders comply with the color standards, I see no reason why locomotive and tender wiring shouldn't likewise comply. Until it does, the best approach is to learn typical pinouts and ignore the colors.

Another reason why every modeler should have at least one multimeter, to trace out the wiring when something goes wrong.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.