News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3-truck shay H0

Started by rz1600, July 19, 2009, 05:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rz1600

Hello,
I wanted to know if it is a known problem with the 3-truck shay that the middle truck gets off, lifts from the rail in curves and even on straights. There seems to be a torque transmission problem that the truck is pushed out of the rails. Only by holding the loco down with hand applying some force keeps the truck down. Is there a solution to fix this?
Thanks

Chris350

I have never seen this in mine.  I would suggest making sure the slip joints are clean and lubed lightly, as well as the universal joints that connect the trucks to the drive shafts.

rz1600

Everything sits where it should, lubed what has to be lubed, the trucks can pivot freely.
By going into reverse when the truck starts to lift it goes back to track and the journey can go on. But thats not how it should be. From 5 units only 2 do the job how it should be. It's a bit sad that I had to buy 5 for having only 2 working locos. I've checked everything but with no result. It seems that the binding comes from the shaft that comes from the engine to the truck cause while running slowly and lifting truck, I can feel that sometihng is binding and the truck doesn't move freely anymore until reversing to release the force in the shaft. So any ideas?

Stephen D. Richards

I have ten 3 truck Shays and not one of them behaves in the manner you describe.  Have to think on that one awhile.  Might be a good question for Mr. B.    Stephen

Chris350

Perhaps a bad casting on one of the crown gears then?  They're tiny little guys and would be hard to see without magnification. Bent axel? Burr on the end of the axel?  You say you have 8 that have the same issue?  By any chance are they from the same production run, similar serial numbers maybe?  Perhaps there was a run of bad gears....
I'd say call service and ask for Bridgette, she is very good at what she does. 

the Bach-man

Dear RZ,
Does the drive line rod move freely in the coupling?
A little oil may help. If not, give service a call.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

rz1600

Everything is in working condition and can move or pivot freely. I  tried with oiling changing trucks and..... but no result. The gears are in perfect condition no cracks, no bent axles, good moving shafts. I also read here that the tendertruck is not intended to pivot but my truck pivot all of all unit. Does anyone have an e-mail from Bridgette cause a call from here would be very expensive.(Luxemburg Europe)

Chris350

Quote from: rz1600 on July 21, 2009, 01:34:48 PM
Everything is in working condition and can move or pivot freely. I  tried with oiling changing trucks and..... but no result. The gears are in perfect condition no cracks, no bent axles, good moving shafts. I also read here that the tendertruck is not intended to pivot but my truck pivot all of all unit. Does anyone have an e-mail from Bridgette cause a call from here would be very expensive.(Luxemburg Europe)
here are the contacts for Bachman, both US and world wide..
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/contactus.php

the Bach-man

Dear RZ,
Just return it to your dealer for a  replacement.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rz1600

Yes returning it would be OK and easy but I bought all in Germany and they got their locos from I don't know it would be much easier if I bought them at my local dealers but he was told they are out of stock from his dealer.
What if suddenly all these shays begin to derail? What a chaos if everybody returns his loco(s), so I will keep investigating.
What about that pivoting tendertruck? Intended to pivot or not.
By the way, are there different boxes these shays are delivered in? The most I saw were some big ones with foam in it.

Chris350

Quote from: rz1600 on July 22, 2009, 01:44:01 PM
What about that pivoting tendertruck? Intended to pivot or not.
mine pivots freely..

QuoteBy the way, are there different boxes these shays are delivered in? The most I saw were some big ones with foam in it.
Mine is black box with foam, new releases are in blue I think with vacuum moulded clear plastic inserts.

raymack

I would be very suspicious of the longitudinal movement of the trucks.  This is an adjustment that is very often neglected.  The truck may swivel very easily but it is essential to check the longitudinal movement.  I have adjusted all the trucks on my Shay.  This is done by removing the truck and using a drill bit that fits snugly into the recess where the screw head fits.  DO NOT USE A DRILLING MACHINE.  If you use a drilling machine the plastic will pickup and you will drill right through the truck.  You rotate the drill by hand and remove a SMALL amount of plastic.  Refit the truck and check the longitudinal movement.  The trucks must be able to rock backwards and forwards.  If there is no movement in the longitudinal direction you will get derailments.

This adjustment is important for all rolling stock and locomotives.
God bless

Regards Ray

VTBob

in one of my shays, a small piece of dirt/debris/junk had found its way up into one of the crown gears on the driveshaft itself. It hung on well & not in the way while moving forwards, but when I tried to run the unit in reverse, it would snag & fall into the gearing, jamming the wheel & lifting the truck off.

Rob (Moved but still in Vermont)
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

rz1600

My trucks on the engines are able to rock backwards and forwards.
And I found some reasons for derailment. The first is the most important, that the outer shaft is made of plastic and the inner one is metal. If there is binding that's because the inner shaft is stuck in the other one (45° turned inside) and this doesn't allow the shafts to slide anymore and it's hard to pull the shaft out without destroying the plastic. A metal outer shaft would be the right thing for this engine. The forces in the driveline are too high for inadequate plastic.
BUT WHY JUST ME!!!!!
The other thing is that some of the trucks run like crap they don't roll downhill they egg roll downhill.
I disassembled the bad ones and reassembled them correctly now the run well.