News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-4-0 questions

Started by jettrainfan, July 24, 2009, 05:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jettrainfan

I was running my 0-4-0 for a "Santa Fe marathon" and was thinking how amazing it looked.(i got it to go real slow and easy! :o)i got some ideas to make it perfect. I heard something about you could put a N scale DCC decoder into a 0-4-0. is this true? also is it possible to get a steam generator in it. if so, how and where can i get one?
the loco is a lifelike model. http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/lif/lif8302.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Jim Banner

I don't know about smoke generators, but yes, there should be room in the cab for a small decoder.  A Digitrax DZ125 is rated at 1 amp and should handle this small locomotive quite well.  To be certain, check the stall current of the motor.  The DZ125 includes Back EMF motor control which makes good low speed control even better.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jerryl

I'll second that. If it has an old open frame motor you will probably be drawing over 1 Amp.   Motors tend to draw more as they age & the magnet weakens.   Jerry

Jim Banner

jerryl,
I don't think Athearn has used open frame motors since the 1950's or maybe the early 1960's.  So I am thinking can motor for this one.

Jim

RAM

I don't know what I am missing, but I don't what Athearn not making an  open frame motors has anything to do with a lifelike 0-4-0.

Jim Banner

RAM,
I don't know if you did not follow the link in the first post or did not read it all, so I will quote from it:
QuoteThis is an HO Scale 0-4-0 Dockside Santa Fe Steam Locomotive from Athearn

Jim

pdlethbridge

In a way, your both right. Athearn does not produce a 0-4-0, check their site. The link does list the loco as Athearn but the Product Number is lif8302   LIF or lifelike
A Athearn loco has this for a product number:ath99384  at the same site
FWIW, Athearn and Lifelike sometimes use the same parts. For example, I just installed decoders in 2 lifelike BL-2's. The axle gears were broken on almost all axles. I replaced them with new ones from athearn.

Jim Banner

Thanks, PD.  I seem to remember that when the BL-2 first came out, it was reputedly manufactured by Athearn for LifeLike.  I don't remember if that was ever confirmed or denied by either company, but there are lots of other examples of model railroad equipment manufactured by one company and marketed under another companies name.  Atlas/Kato, AHM/Rivarossi, Model Power/ROCO, IHC/Mehano and others leap to mind.  Even though Athearn is not selling an 0-4-0 under their own name, is it possible that they manufactured this one for LifeLike?  Or did Hobbylink just blow it in their ad?  I really don't know.

Jim

RAM

I think it is safe to say that Athearn never made anything for life like.