News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#6 turnout specs...again.

Started by NWsteam, December 11, 2009, 05:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

I know this has been discussed before and I have searched the forum but I am still a bit confused. The #6 remote crossover product number 44575 (found here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=173) is what I am wondering about. If I wish to expand my single 22 inch radius loop into a double, what radius do I need to go with it?. Furthermore, What are the specs of this turnout? How long, how wide, how far way are the rails from each other? Thanks for the help.

-Brad

full maxx

I also have a 22" radius loop and was wondering if I should go with a 18" radius or would 26" radius work with the same crossovers because I have been told that the engines I have, have trouble on the 18" radius or is that just the #4 turnouts ... I would like to order tonight to have by Christmas
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

26" radius should work on the outside.

full maxx

Quote from: ABC on December 11, 2009, 07:09:31 PM
26" radius should work on the outside.
with the #6 crossovers? would 18" radius work as well
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

NWsteam

I realize 26's should work but I need something a little more concrete than that.  :D Here's my problem. I want to add an outside loop to this:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=130738&id=706702405&l=1e8eb99fc4

As you can see it is a bit tight on the left side. That is why I was interesting in the specs. The inside loop on the double main line with travel up the grade while the outside loop will go into the mountains and stay level.

NWsteam

Full Maxx- Yes it will. I'm almost 99% sure that the 22" and 18" will work together.

full maxx

I have heard or read on here that the consolidated and/or the Pere Marquette either have trouble on the 18" radius or the #4 turnouts but I can't remember which/both

NWsteam

My guess would be that the consolidation can handle 18" curves. I don't know about the #4 turnouts.

If by Pere Marquette you mean the 2-8-4 then I would say it would have trouble with both.

full maxx

ABC

the 2-8-4 is best run on 22" radius and #6 turnouts anything less should be avoided.

jbsmith

The 2-8-0 and 2-8-4 can run on 18 and 22 inch curves just fine.
I have both on my layout and have Never and a problem with the
locos going thru the curves.

Turnouts are a whole different ball game.

My 2-8-0 can handle even "basic"turnouts, these are even tighter than
#4 turnouts.
The 2-8-4,, go with the #6 turnouts.

jbsmith

Quote from: NWsteam on December 11, 2009, 05:53:17 PM
I know this has been discussed before and I have searched the forum but I am still a bit confused. The #6 remote crossover product number 44575 (found here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=173) is what I am wondering about. If I wish to expand my single 22 inch radius loop into a double, what radius do I need to go with it?. Furthermore, What are the specs of this turnout? How long, how wide, how far way are the rails from each other? Thanks for the help.

-Brad

This?
since it is the best photo i could find

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=BAC44575

If you know distance between the rails temselves on a regular piece of track,
then you may be able to calculate width part things in the photo.
The length of the whole thing?  At least 18inch, maybe 22 or 24 inch is my best Guess.
I've seen these on the wall at a LHS and they are well over a foot long.
So far i have not found Any site that just tells the dimensions of these.

Radius for a second loop?
18 if you want a loop inside the 22 ,
24 or greater if outside the 22 loop.

full maxx

they are 21" long according to the two I just bought , since they are 21" I told the wife that the regular straights are 9" so two would make only 18" so we would have to have both to keep things balanced... as far as width I have no idea

ABC

Quote from: jbsmith on December 11, 2009, 08:45:58 PM
The 2-8-0 and 2-8-4 can run on 18 and 22 inch curves just fine.
I have both on my layout and have Never and a problem with the
locos going thru the curves.
I said best run on 22", I still think 18" radius is a bit too tight on 18" radius.

NWsteam

I think I'm just going to run to the hobby shop tomorrow and take a tape measure with me.

jbsmith- Bachmann doesn't make 24" radius do they? I thought the next size up after 22" was 26". Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the help everyone.

-Brad