Cass Scenic Railroad based HO excursion cars

Started by mattyg1306, March 16, 2010, 02:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyg1306

Bach-Man,
Although I know you probably aren't allowed to give out specific numbers, I guess its safe to assume from the fact that almost no one around the 'net has the Cass Scenic Railroad tourist cars in stock that they are a hit?  I am the proud owner of a countless number of them, as everytime I buy from an e-seller I have them throw in one or two.  These really are great, and I have them on my layout with Cass #5, and have even added the tourists to make them look better!

mattyg1306

I have plenty of pics that I could share, but how do you post them on here?  I tried to attach some in my previous post, but apparently the files were too large...

ABC

You cannot attach photos. You have to upload them onto photobucket or flickr and then copy the image location, then click on the image button next to the little globe under the italics button and you will get this . Paste the image location inbetween the two.

mattyg1306

Here's a link to the Photo Bucket album of My Layout.  Photos of the Cass Cars with Shay #5 are toward the end (roughly the last half of the images).  You can also see my scratchbuilt CSRR "first generation" tourist cars in the last four photos of the album, which were built in 2000.  Some are repetitive shots, but I still hope you enjoy!

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/thewvnetwork/My%20Layout/

ryeguyisme

that's quite the setup you've got going there. Impressive Detail

mattyg1306

pipefitter

Great layout. Thanks for the pictures and inspiration mattyg :D

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

hawaiiho

Quote from: mattyg1306 on March 16, 2010, 02:07:56 AM
Bach-Man,
Although I know you probably aren't allowed to give out specific numbers, I guess its safe to assume from the fact that almost no one around the 'net has the Cass Scenic Railroad tourist cars in stock that they are a hit?  I am the proud owner of a countless number of them, as everytime I buy from an e-seller I have them throw in one or two.  These really are great, and I have them on my layout with Cass #5, and have even added the tourists to make them look better!

I found them about two months ago and bought nearly all of this one dealers remaining stock. Now I wish I had bought them all.

I can't find any more, at least not at the price I got the first ones at---too popular now, I guess.  Maybe Bachmann will release some more.

I too,  have the CS #5 Shay

mattyg1306

From what most online retailers report, it looks like there will be a second run of these cars which will become available sometime in May.  It looks like they were more popular than Bachmann had thought they would be, especially the ones that are actually lettered for Cass, the prototype.  When I couldn't find them I at first thought they had already stopped offering them, but I'd rather have them be so popular they can't keep up with demand than not popular and no longer being made at all.  

I was actually at Cass in the Fall right after these were first released, and NO ONE there had heard of them.  Even the Park's supporting organization, Mountain State Railroad & Logging Historical Association (MSR&LHA) didn't know of the cars until this past month when I sent the editor of their newsletter, "The Log Train", a review of the cars to include in the June issue.  As it turns out, Bachmann's VP of Product Development, Lee Riley, is a HUGE fan of Cass, and visits there sporadically throughout the year, hence the use of Cass equipment as a prototype (first the Shay, now the cars, hopefully he'll think of offering a model of one of the other Cass Shays sometime soon, perhaps a Pacific Coast type like #2, or WM #6).  

If you are interested in some of the non-Cass lettered tourist cars, many places do have a few of the other varieties available, but the Cass version seems to be sold out across the board.  And you are right, the prices have gone up, but that is largely due to Bachmann raising prices on ALL their products at the beginning of the year.  The new SRP for these is still only $1 higher though at $29, so the price change could have been worse.  Might I suggest www.modeltrainstuff.com ?  They seem to have the lowest price at $13.99 as of this writing.  Hopefully it will stay that way for a while.  I have a total of 20 of these cars (at least one of each variety), and don't plan to purchase anymore for the time being, but may change my mind in the future.  

jettrainfan

WM 6 would be excellent! world's biggest shay. That thing scared me for some reason because it sounded like a diesel when i went.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

mattyg1306

On a side note, I recently finished detailing an HO model of West Virginia Northern Railroad SW1200 #52, as well as a replica of their MP54 "Ping-Pong" coach, nicknamed "L.I. Suzy".  I really enjoyed this railroad when I was younger in the 1990s, and was saddened when it closed down forever in 1999.  I honestly still like Cass better, but I did like the Northern due to its closer proximity to my house (lol).  I will be adding photos of my models to the photostream very soon, so be sure to check back often!!!   Here's a link to a site about the prototype:  http://www.wvrail.railfan.net/wvnrr/index.html

mabloodhound

I just downloaded the new PDF catalog and both the Cass and Jackson Sharp coaches are shown.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Stephen D. Richards

all,  I would just love a Bachmann Spectrum Shay #6, WM.  I have most of the other Shay's to include a two truck version.  Brass versions of the Big #6 is still available at 1000.00 plus!  Can' t quite make that in the budget. 

Mr. Bach-mann, please toss that around with Mr. Riley and see what you can come up with.  Stephen