News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command

Started by full maxx, May 24, 2010, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

Well our ez command crapped out this morning. There was a short and instead of turning off the power my little engineer unplugged the wires from the back of the controller then plugged them back in and it wouldn't work ... however Bachmann said since its only three months old to send it in and they would replace it. So about three to four weeks turnaround I guess I'm down for a while.
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Yep, he did the only thing Bachmann's instructions explicitly said not to do, at least they are replacing it.

jbsmith

Maybe not totally down and out, do you still have the DC powerpack?  good emergency back ups those are, for just such an occasion.

ABC

Quote from: jbsmith on May 24, 2010, 08:23:18 PM
Maybe not totally down and out, do you still have the DC powerpack?  good emergency back ups those are, for just such an occasion.
But as far as I know he does not have his blocks isolated, but I am not sure about his sidings where he stores all his locos, so he may have to remove all his locos but one.

full maxx

both are correct ... I do have 2 dc controllers and I have no blocks isolated except for the sidings where the two passenger trains park but thats only to keep the lights out in the cars while running other trains
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Jim Banner

Before sending your E-Z Command back for servicing, you might want to check to see if the wall wart power pack is working or not.  If you have a meter, you can check the AC voltage from the inside to the outside of the plug that goes into the back of the E-Z Command.  If no meter, you can alternately use a grain-of-wheat bulb.  Just make sure that you do not short the inside of the plug to the outside as this will blow the fuse in the wall wart.

If your wall wart is dead, you could try one from a Bachmann dc power pack.  Just make sure it has the same rating and plug.  It could save you a couple of weeks waiting.  But be aware that there is also a small chance that you could convert the second, working wall wart into a second non-working wall wart.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

full maxx

Thanks Jim but a standard dc controller will plug in a work fine...that was the third and last thing I tried...do you or anyone know if I need to return the power supply and the controller to track wiring along with the controller or just send in the controller alone...I'm sure they have a set up for testing but was wondering before I seal it up and drop it off at the post office

Jim Banner

I would say send in both the controller and the power supply because it is possible for the problem to be in either one, or possibly even both.  The controller to track wire is not likely part of your problem and in any event their test bench is probably littered with them.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

full maxx

Called Bachmann today before mailing and Jenny said just send in the controller...the wall wart works on a standard dc controller so I thinks its fine

full maxx

found this great stuff called loc-tite foamboard construction adhesive...comes in a caulk tube and you can get this putty knife that has teeth to spread it with and then roll it out with a rolling pen and it looks pretty good

Doneldon

Maxx -

Make sure you clean that rolling pin very well or the general superintendant might decide to see if it spreads you out real thin, too.
                                                                      --D

full maxx

Joe323

Please let us know when the patient leaves the hospitital :)

full maxx

Quote from: full maxx on May 26, 2010, 06:28:59 PM
found this great stuff called loc-tite foamboard construction adhesive...comes in a caulk tube and you can get this putty knife that has teeth to spread it with and then roll it out with a rolling pen and it looks pretty good
wow totally put this in the wrong thread...really busy week, sorry

full maxx

Quote from: Joe323 on May 29, 2010, 12:03:41 AM
Please let us know when the patient leaves the hospitital :)
according to tracking it was delivered Thursday morning...however I believe the patient will be doa and I'll get a new patient