News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sprectrum steam loco minimum radii

Started by markwhester, June 01, 2010, 01:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markwhester

Hey Bach man,
I couldn't find the minimum turn radii listed for Spectrum HO steam locos -where can find them?  I am most interested in the 3-truck 80-ton Shay, 4-4-0, and 4-6-0 (DCC, Sound models).

Also -anyone have feedback on performance of these locos? in terms of derailing, smooth op, etc?  I've seen some comments on 'noisy' op and gear stripping on the shays(?)  Thanks.

Louisiana Mountain man

ABC

They are listed in the Bachmann catalog I think.

jbsmith

The 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 are small enough to handle 18-inch curves comfortably.

The Shay, maybe some one who has one will answer that one.

Doneldon

Mark -

These three locomotives are widely used, the Shay a bit less widely, and the general consensus seems to be that they do what they're supposed to do with few problems.  Despite that, I'd urge you to see if you can use broader curves.  Appearance and operations will both be improved, and you'll be able to use longer rolling stock like auto carriers, modern boxes and reefers, and passenger equipment.

By the way, Mark, where are the mountains that Louisiana Mountain Men inhabit?  Bayous I get but I've never run across any mountain ranges in that part of the South.

-- D

full maxx

I have a 4-4-0 and it runs fine but has stalled at a few turnouts and crossovers unless your doing better than slow and it does fine on 18"
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Pacific Northern

The Shay will run fine on 18" radius curves. I have a number of these and no problems with any of them.

Before you consider a Shay you should really see these engines in action. Great running, but are noisy and very slow.

I love the geared locomotives, but I know a number of people who have bought one and were unaware of just how slow they run.

These are either mining or forestry engines.
Pacific Northern

WTierce1

All the locos you have listed should run on an 18'' radius curve. After a 2-8-0 most locomotives will usually require a 20'' or greater radius curve.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Doneldon

Bill -

True, except for some recent models which are adapted to negotiate 18" curves even though older models and, especially, brass cannot.
                                                                            -- D