News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

50 ton climax

Started by dagnarble, June 25, 2010, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagnarble

Hello: New to the site. Have a question. I bought a 50 ton two truck class B climax, but it would not run. Some inspection showed one of the small bevel gears in the rear truck was split and was jamming in the large drive gear. I tried to search for the part as labelled on my assembly sheet but could not bring anything up. Now I,m not arguing here I called Bachmann and they are sending me out a new truck ( can't beat that) but I was wondering CAN YOU ORDER INDIVIDUAL PARTS FROM THE ASSEMBLY SHEET or is there something about the climax that makes it different?? Thank you

ABC

There is indeed something about the climax that makes it different: it is out of production. So any parts unique to the climax would not be available, but Northwest Short Line is making replacement metal gears for the Bachmann Climax.

dagnarble

Thanks ABC I'll see how the new truck works out first. Good to know there is someplace to go if it fails too.

Kris Everett

9 times out of 10 there is :)

ABC

Also, here's what the Bachmann said:
QuoteCocerning Replacement Gears for Shays and Climaxes in On30 and HO   
Dear All,
The service department has a good supply of replacement gears for these locos.
If you need gears, call and discuss your specific needs.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

dag -

Whether Bachmann or other manufacturers, they frequently have parts long after a given model is out of production.  Indeed, they often have inventory of out of production models.  It all depends on company policy and availability of a part or item.  Bachmann is pretty good about this.  In this regard, model railroading is much like other fields where repair parts are purposely inventoried because manufacturers know they'll be needed.
                                                                                                 -- D

dagnarble

Thought I would update this thread since I am at the putor. Bachmann sent me some gears, but they jammed when I tried to install. The new gears have a shoulder on them that binds the axle..I used a razor knife ,cut off the shoulders and they now work. Put it on the track and it ran but the back truck looked like it was running on oval wheels and would derail after about 4 feet. Looks like there is too much play in the wheel set. Any ideas on how I can fix the wheels so they don't wander/ It looks like I would need a spacer to keep the wheels out. Was this a common problem?? I didn't have an spare parts left over and it didn't run when I got it so I don't know if it was doing this before I changed gears. So confusing

jerryl

You probably got the new gears. I heard they have a shoulder to give more strength  around the hole to eliminate the splitting problem. Not much good if they won't go on .

richg

Without pictures of the new gears and truck, cannot come up with an answer. You might have removed to much of the hub.  Changing gears is not plug and play. You need to have some mechanical experience.
Might be a tight press fit getting the gear on the axle.
Pictures would help.

I have looked at the Climax diagram but the gear on the wheels are difficult to see. There is a top and bottom half that encloses the wheels. Is that the interference problem?

Rich

dagnarble

Found it. The small universal gears were not operating properly. They were not flexing at all causing the whole truck to move with every rotation. Hope NWSL brings something out in metal. In the meantime looks like another call to Bachmann to see if these parts are available. I'll give this one more chance then back it goes although I know I will not get a climax in return and don't want to lose this one.\, if it can be saved.

ABC

Be sure to get in contact with the guy at NWSL before giving up. If you were to send it back they would offer you a shay; you might get other choices too.

Fred A

I am wondering if you may have had the rear drive shaft out of sync to cause the rear truck to go like you say, the universals have to be orientated correctly, otherwise the shaft will bind.

I have just received the front and rear drive shafts and 2 sets of the intermediate bevel gears with bushings and shaft  that fit between the axles on the climax trucks, if you want the part #'s I can let you know.

The front and rear shafts consist of the female shaft, universal, drive pin with bush and bevel gear, these shafts are fitted to the trucks.

I have been waiting for a couple of years for gear and shaft replacements, have also been in contact with NWSL and the last report was, they were having trouble with the universals, and that was a couple of months ago.

dagnarble

Thanks Fred. I got the same parts and have them installed. I took out one of the universals for the rear truck and found it had some plastic in behind the section that connected to the main drive. Think I got it all out but the area is so small hard to tell. I will give it a try later on tonight, and post results

Fred A

Your welcome, if you need to disassemble the universals, soak these in acetone for a short while, this softens the plastic (delrin!!) enough to remove the yokes, and do the same when you want to reassemble, but only leave in the fluid long enough for the plastic housing to become flexible.

This is only a suggestion, I came across this after I placed to much CA on a split yoke boss and the CA wicked into the universal.

dagnarble

Find myself a little disappointed in Bachmann. After replacing the gears they had sent, still no run. I decided to send it back in the hopes that they could figure it out. Got call from them saying the main drive was gone and they had no parts. The offer I got for replacement was a USRA 0 6 0, I indicated that I already had one of those and that I was doing a logging operation and that is why I had bought the Climax. He said that there was an 0 6 0 Saddle Tank Switcher that I could use for logging. I asked if there were any more options and he said no, that was all that was available. I figured I had better make a choice or get nothing, so I chose the saddle tank.. The thing that sticks in my craw is that I paid a lot more for the Climax than the Saddle Tank is worth, but did not seem to get any choices close to that value, and only got two to choose from. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone else had this experience??