Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Jupiter

Started by uncbob, January 21, 2012, 10:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncbob

Why are there no controls on the steam dome

rogertra

There are NEVER any "controls" on a locomotive's steam dome!

uncbob

Quote from: rogertra on January 21, 2012, 11:05:42 PM

Well what ever those pipes are on the other OT 4-4-0s the Jupiter doesn't have them

richg

Quote from: uncbob on January 21, 2012, 10:20:32 PM
Why are there no controls on the steam dome

Those are just toys. We are boys playing with toys. Add your own details if you count all rivets. Don't forget the cord going to the bell.

Rich

uncbob

Quote from: uncbob on January 21, 2012, 11:54:34 PM
Quote from: rogertra on January 21, 2012, 11:05:42 PM

Well what ever those pipes are on the other OT 4-4-0s the Jupiter doesn't have them
You can see them here on the 119 on the top of the roof and they are on other HO models of the HO OT 4-4-0s
Does anybody know what they are and why the Jupiter doesn't have them
Maybe a control to the whistle
http://bandb3536.com/HOtrains/meeting.htm
You can also see them on my Freelanced Fanfare Model
http://bandb3536.com/HOtrains/440ottest.jpg

uncbob

Well looking at some pics in an exploded view in one of my books they look like control arms going to the whistle with a cord on the end going down to the cab interior

Question still remains why not on the Jupiter model
They are not like some obscure detail but very evident on the other models as I show in the above links

uncbob

Yeah That is what I think they must be
Here is a bigger pic
http://bandb3536.com/HOtrains/oldtime440.jpg

uncbob

One of my other models just has one rather than 2

Maybe on some real life engines there was a whistle control for both the engineer and the fireman

J3a-614

What you are looking at are some of the compromises made to make models at reasonable prices, and a decent profit for the builder.  We could have details down to the last rivet, and even working leaf springs and equalizers (it's been done),and true scale size flanges and tires, but you would be looking at astronomical prices, delicate models, and in some cases, questionable operation--so some things get simplified.

In this case, we are also looking at models by two different builders.  One is a Bachmann model, the other a Pocher (old AHM?) model of V&T's Reno with UP paint.  Different interpretations of what would be salable by two different companies in two different times (early 1960s for the V&T engine, late 1960s-early 1970s for Bachmann). 

As to the "controls," one could be for a whistle, but the other rod and linkage would be for the safety valve.  Earlier safety valves weren't entirely self-contained as they would be later, with a coil spring bearing down on the valve in a case.  Rather, the safety valve worked through a lever that went into a spring in a case in the cab.  This spring and case doubled as a rudimentary steam gauge, looking a lot like the sliding gauge used on some scales.  It had one advantage, and that was if the safety was observed by the crew to "stick," they could jiggle the lever and get it to open.  On the other hand, that same spring and scale were also easy for the crew to screw down for extra pressure--and you can imagine what could happen after that. . .