News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ALCO S4 Troubleshooting

Started by CN7470, December 02, 2012, 05:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CN7470

I just purchased a new ALCO S4,  WM #146 to be specific with DCC and Sound.  I put it on the track and from the box it ran perfectly, at some turnouts on the layout it shot-circuted, but other than that it was fine,  but then the engine starts to act up.  It starts to refuse to move until i push it.   Eventually i got it to go,  but then it starts to slow down when going in forward,  i set to full speed but the engine is at a crawl and now at its current state cant move forward, but needs to be nudged a bit to go in reverse,  what is the problem? I like this engine alot.

jward

have you tried running it on dc?

have you tried a factory default reset of the decoder?

have you looked in the trucks for some3thing wrappped around the axles which may be causing it to bind up?

have you heard any clicking when it runs which would indicate something caught in the gears?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CN7470

Ok i have the shell off,  When i apply throttle to the engine the engine revs up but doesnt move,  i poke at the motor when its in the forward position and it moves jerkingly,   while in the reverse position it runs like it should, very strange....and i tried dc.   only has enough power to start up the loco

jward

sounds like you have a bind in the drive train somewhere, or something isn't seated right. Does the motor move at normal speed, but the wheels don't? if so checque the universals and worm gears to make sure they're seated properly.

does the locomotive seem like it's dragging one truck? then that's probably where the problem is.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

KJS

Quote from: CN7470 on December 02, 2012, 07:02:17 PM
Ok i have the shell off,  When i apply throttle to the engine the engine revs up but doesnt move,  i poke at the motor when its in the forward position and it moves jerkingly,   while in the reverse position it runs like it should, very strange....and i tried dc.   only has enough power to start up the loco

CN7470

Did you figure out what the problem was with your S4?  Mine is having the same issue.  Wrote B tech but no reply yet.

Please post back.  Thanks

Jerrys HO

KJS

You may want to PM the original poster as he has not been back on in a month. If it works like mine I usually get an e-mail stating I have a PM.
Check all the drive gear may have something worked loose or cracked. If nothing is obvious try running it for a while may need to break in. I did not have to break mine in but have heard of doing so and helped others.

Jerry