News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tanker Cars...no modern?

Started by Balrog21, January 08, 2013, 02:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrog21

I wonder if it's any reason why Bachmann doesn't do other tanker cars than the 40' ones? Like the big 22k -38K gallon size ones? Their newer hoppers are very nice. I have a few of those just wish they would make some newer tanker cars. Because gosh those things are mega expensive for the updated modern looking ones from other companies. Anyone know why they haven't?
Bal

jbrock27

I don't know if this means anything or helps you, but I read somewhere that RRs stopped using tanker cars bc they lacked the effecientcy of boxcars.  This was bc with a tanker, there is nothing to put it in for a return trip, unlike reloading a box car with something and sending it back for the return trip that way.  Perhaps this is why you don't see tankers these day ??? Just a guess on my part.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

the op was referring to tank car models.

on the real lines, tank cars are not only alive and well, but due to the increase in rail shipments of ethanol and crude oil their numbers are actually increasing. using boxcars instead of tank cars because of backhauls is not practical. many tank cars are specialized peices of equipment designed to haul specific and often toxic chemicals safely. using another type of car to do this, especially a general service type like a boxcar, would be dangerous and probably illegal.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

There are also specialized tank cars for food products like corn syrup,
vinegar, cooking oils and other things. These must be kept scrupulously
clean and never used for other substances.

-- D

jbrock27

I understood what the OP was referring to Jward.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

...and Jwad, I never made a suggestion about using box cars in place of tanker cars.  Where did you get that from ????
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

jbrock

QuoteI don't know if this means anything or helps you, but I read somewhere that RRs stopped using tanker cars bc they lacked the effecientcy of boxcars.  This was bc with a tanker, there is nothing to put it in for a return trip, unlike reloading a box

I believe he got it from you as I took your response the same way. I agree with Jeff the tankers are alive and well. There id a yard close to my house that has at least 300 or so coming and going daily, but I find they use more of the smaller ones as I have never seen any larger one's in this yard.

Jerry

jbrock27

No, not even close to what I said.  And why don't you let Jward speak for himself?

#1) Off the bat, I stated, I did not know if this was meaningful or if it helped to answer the question, but
#2) That I recalled reading somewhere that said that tankers were not as efficient cars on the railroad as compared to box cars, for the reason that, tankers only deliver their goods to one place and do not return from that one place with a new load; which is unlike boxcars, which can deliver their load and then be reloaded for the return trip.

I have no idea where it comes from or how it can be interpreted that I suggested box cars serve as substitutes for tanker cars.  I also added this was guess on my part.    ????
Yea, I know tanker cars are in operation now, I see them.   
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

touchy,touchy.

I am sure he will speak for himself but note that I said I took it the same way. Just a misunderstanding.
No need to get derailed over it we are all here for one thing to learn and help everyone in this great hobby.
Sorry you were offended.

Jerry

jbrock27

No problem Jerry.

Has anyone noticeed, no ones answered Balrog's question?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Balrog21

I need to take a vid of my area one night...one whole train nothing but the huge long 22-30K gallon tankers cars a mass of them each night...LONG LONG train!!!

Balrog21

Well, the monsoon stopped for a while and I heard the whistle blowing, so I rushed down to the tracks and got a quick vid, to my surprise and old IC was in the lead! It had to be cut short because of a very ill behaved 7 year old cousin causing trouble. Anywho, here's a bit of tanker cars for ya to look at. I do aplogize for the poor quality of the night time shooting. I will try and get a better vid during the day. We have 15 freight trains that come through here daily along with the City of New Orleans which comes south one and then back north in the mid afternoon. Anywho, enjoy!
Best,
Bal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWeWAcjgnE&feature=youtu.be

RAM

This post reminded me of an old joke.   Before zip codes you wondered how your letter got lost.  Now you wonder how it gets lost so fast.  They question was why Bachman only made the two tank cars.  I cost a lot of money to tool up to make difference cars.  With all of the different types of tank cars already on the market, it just wouldn't be good business to tool up to produce one.

jward

i think that another problem with tooling tank cars is that there is no such thing as a standardized design. the size of the car depends on many factors such as what is being hauled, whether is is heated or insulated, how many compartments it has, etc. believe it or not there are descendants of the 3 dome tanker commonly seen in train sets roaming the rails.

i live along the former pennsy main just east of pittsburgh. i see solid trains of tankers several times a week, in addition to all the loose shipments in the general freights.

i don't think there are that many general service boxcars like railbox anymore. the free running pool cars were big in the 1970s, when many shortlines made extra income by trip leasing general service boxcars. to-day, as with most railcars, boxcars tend to be in specialized service. one of the problems with free roaming pool cars is that they tend to edn up where they are not needed, and have to be handled empty anyway. assigning them to specific service guarantees a ready supply of cars when you need them without having to hunt for them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Nice Vid Balrog!

Alot of times, at a lake I go fishing at, trains will run by (CSX) and some of the trains seem to on for ever.  The longer ones pulled by 4 locos.
Keep Calm and Carry On