News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC system

Started by nichbuhler16754, May 19, 2013, 06:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nichbuhler16754

Will a HO scail steam engine (not Dcc) run on a DCC system with no problems or damage?

rogertra

You cannot run a non DCC locomotive on a DCC model railway.

nichbuhler16754

Okay thank you because my dad tolled me you could.

richg

Quote from: nichbuhler16754 on May 19, 2013, 06:03:54 PM
Will a HO scail steam engine (not Dcc) run on a DCC system with no problems or damage?

There are to or three DCC systems that WILL RUN a DC loco but the motor will buzz and possibly be damaged if left in the stopped position. The motor armature gets quite hot when stopped. The armature runs a little cooler when turning. I have done measurements with a infra red temperature scanner. The hottest part is right where the brushes contact the armature.
The old Bachmann EZ Command is one of them.
My old MRC2000 would run a DC loco.
The Bachmann Dynamis will not run a DC loco.
There is AC DCC always on the rails. The systems that can run a DC loco use the stretched zero bit option so there will be AC as well as DC on the rails.

Thee below link will tell you all you need to know about this issue. A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/DCC-waveforms/DCC_waveforms.html

Rich
Others here should store this link and read it.

WoundedBear

So Rich.......

After all that typing....the answer he needs, is still......no. The kid sounds like he's 10...you really think he understands that stuff? Most likely his dad and him are thinking the wrong way around. That is to say, a DCC loco is ok on DC, when fitted with a dual mode decoder or jumpers.

Young man....it's very simple....don't attempt to run a DC loco on a DCC layout. It WILL give problems.

Sid

richg

I answered the question as it was asked. They have to make the decision. He has a father.

I have seen in other forums that some run DC with a system that can run them but they switch off the power to a siding when not using the loco.

Rich

Jerrys HO

QuoteAfter all that typing....the answer he needs, is still......no. The kid sounds like he's 10...you really think he understands that stuff? Most likely his dad and him are thinking the wrong way around.

Who said they were ON BOARD? :o :o :o :o :o :o :'( :'( :'( :'(

Doneldon

Quote from: richg on May 19, 2013, 08:19:45 PM
He has a father.

Rich-

Yes, he does have a father. But he also said his father told him he can
run a DC loco on a DCC system. I'm not so sure that leaving him to his
father on this question is fair to the lad.
                                                                -- D

Joe323

Quote from: richg on May 19, 2013, 08:19:45 PM
I answered the question as it was asked. They have to make the decision. He has a father.

I have seen in other forums that some run DC with a system that can run them but they switch off the power to a siding when not using the loco.

Rich

I have considered doing that but since I have more than enough DCC locos I decided to retire the non dcc ones to the display self

nichbuhler16754

Ya my dad is very stupid ;D

Jerrys HO

QuoteYa my dad is very stupid

nich
Dad's not stupid, he's old school and needs to read up on DCC so both of you can enjoy the contributions DCC has made to this great hobby.

Jerry

railtwister

Hi Nich,

No, your Dad is not stupid, he is conditionally correct in what he said.

Some DCC systems do allow you to run a DC-only locomotive, while some others do not. Both Lenz and Digitrax allow for the operation of one non-DCC loco using loco address 00, while current NCE and MRC (except their Tech 6 system) systems will not allow for this option. I'm not sure about Zimo and CVP Systems, as I have no experience with them. The original Bachmann EZ-Command is made using a Lenz design & license, while versions similar to the Dynamis are also marketed by ESU and Viessmann in Europe. Allowing a DCC system to run a DC-only loco is primarily intended for testing purposes only, and address 00 should not be used to run a DC loco for extended times on any DCC layout.

Just having a DC loco sitting idle on tracks with DCC power on will damage the motor by causing it to overheat, so you should not leave one sitting on powered track anywhere on a DCC layout.

So the answer to the question of "Can you run a DC loco on DCC?" is, "yes, sometimes, but you really shouldn't do it other than for brief testing, and you should never leave a DC loco sitting on rails with DCC power."

Bill in FtL

Doneldon

Nich-

Technically, your dad was correct. As a practical matter he was not. None of that makes
him stupid. Allow me to point out that you didn't know these things either. How would
you feel if someone called you stupid because of that?
                                                                                  -- D

nichbuhler16754

Well you see I am 14 and just a beginner but this hobby interest me a lot. I grue up with trains such as Thomas's and my grandpa ran the western union rail way and he was really good at it for his sake, but as you can see the reason why I asked about a DCC system is because I want to see if it would work really good. And as for my dad, I have a nitro 3.3 T-maxx and he is really good with it, but once he thinks he is good at it he thinks he is good at every thing. So there you have it.

nichbuhler16754

And you do know I didn't mean it like that, he is very smart I guess what I ment to say is he is not to good with trains and I have to admit I am very stupid for saying that. Sorry dad..... :-[