News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

steam engines

Started by nichbuhler16754, May 20, 2013, 05:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nichbuhler16754

Out of all the steam engins that are DCC witch one is the best????????

rogertra

Quote from: nichbuhler16754 on May 20, 2013, 05:41:33 PM
Out of all the steam engins that are DCC witch one is the best????????

"Witch" one?  The one that casts it spell on you.  :)

Seriously, that's like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

I have Spectrum 2-10-0s, 2-8-0s, light and heavy 4-8-2s and some each of the two types of 4-6-0s and, in addition, a couple of the Alco 2-6-0s.  They all are "the best" depending on what I use them for.

So that we can better answer your question, tell us about your model railroad or the model railroad you'd like to build.  Main line?  Branch line? Industrial switching yard?  Logging line? etc., etc..   Each of these uses specific kinds of locos.  If you are planning say a logging railroad, then a 4-8-2 would be inappropriate but a 2-6-0 or 4-6-0 may be just perfect.  Your answer determines our answers.

nichbuhler16754

Hey I am just a beginner.......cut me some slack.....

Jerrys HO

nich

If your not a rivet counter then any will suit you. Roger runs his railroad like the prototypes do, switching and transporting goods from one place to another and so on,which is perfectly OK if that's your thing (no offense roger). Some like to watch them go round and round for hours with no switching done at all. You get my point.
I like the new sound value loco's Bachmann has been putting out which in the steamers you have the ALCO 2-6-0. The sound is great. Then there's other's like master modeler jonathan that loves his Connies 2-8-0. So what roger is asking is a question for the beginner. How do you want to operate your layout?
Welcome to a wonderful hobby with plenty of fun for you and dad. Who knows, if you read up on all there is to know about DCC (which is impossible) you may teach your dad a few new tricks. ;D

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: nichbuhler16754 on May 20, 2013, 06:02:12 PM
Hey I am just a beginner.......cut me some slack.....

I was being helpful in trying to make you think of your goals.

Your question was like asking "What's the best automobile?"  There is no one answer.  :)

RAM

nichbuhler16754 The 2-8-0 is a good locomotive to start with.  It is a mid size locomotive that you can use as a yard  locomotive or on the main line.  Local passenger power. That is what I would go for.  I do have two of them.

richg

I was going to mention another brand of loco with sound which is much better but that would not have been acceptable here. The question was not very specific. I see this "best" in many forums.

Rich

Joe Baldwin

As others have said, the Bachmann 2-8-0 is an extraordinary locomotive, reliable, fun and inexpensive.  I have 4 of them. 

I hope your dis of your Dad was intended as a joke.

Joe Daddy
Joe Daddy

utdave

i love my EM1  2-8-8-2   with sound    the best engine bachmann has built pulls real good,stays on track , its even gone through one of my 18 radius turns without any troubles.    looks real , sounds real .     well the cost is more but worth every dallor.       bright head lights     BACHMANN  has done a number ONE job on the steam engine.   also on 28 speed  and running on 1 or 2 speed   its impressive  Dave   (whishes he had one more of these)

Joe323

Because the operating area of my layout is relatively small I prefer the smaller steamers so I run a sound value 2-6-0 and a dockside 0-6-0 but my consists are generally no more than 6 cars.

That works for me but for you well thats a loaded question.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

In my opinion, the best are the GS-4, the Santa Fe Northern, 2-8-4 Berkshire, the Spectrum era 2-8-0 and the spetrum 4-6-0 as those are the ones I have and my 2-8-4, both 4-8-4's and the 2-8-0 are the strongest engines I have with each being able to handle over 30 cars (one engine at a time) on level track, given enough track to get that many cars in one train. The 4-6-0 however is a great little engine but I have found it is more suited for lighter duty, branchline work.

Doneldon

nich-

Welcome to the world of opinion, a rampant condition in model railroading. Here's another.

You'll never get agreement on what is the best locomotive because there isn't one. There are only favorites and, people being what we are, every person has a different favorite. So I suggest that, as someone mentioned earlier, you base your buying decision on what kind of railroading you plan to represent. I believe that's the best way to get a loco which might become your favorite, or best.

Welcome to a hobby with so many aspects to it that I'm still learning things after almost 60 years.
                                                                                                                                                  -- D

nichbuhler16754

Well thank you all for your help (seriously) it really did help. I love herring other people's opinions It makes me feel good to know that a lot of people have good plans and I am not alone in this. Thank you for all of your help, I am having fun so far.

nichbuhler16754

Ohhhhhhhhhhh and Doneldon thank you for your tip, it's just the engine I want is very cool it's the 0-6-0 #4443 union pacific, I thought it would be a perfect engine to begin with, and I got last summer but when I put it down stairs in a case and what happend was we were going fore willing and I came back and it was on the ground broken in I believe 10- 20 peaces, I was devistared my first engine distoyed, one train wreck I will never forget. I really want to get it again but.....................  I don't know, you know???

Doneldon

nich-

I don't know whether your broken locomotive is Bachmann's or someone else's, but I'm afraid I have to give you some bad news which you probably already suspect: It's very difficult if not impossible to repair badly-broken plastic engines without leaving evidence of major repairs. It's easy to replace fallen details and even things like broken pilots but major repairs on a plastic loco's body don't get good results. However, you may be in luck if your loco is from Bachmann.

You'll find a good selection of repair parts for your 0-6-0 on this website, even whole boiler/cab castings. A carefully restored plastic loco can look and run as good as new. This does take some skill so it might not be something you want to start unless you're already skilled in building plastic models. You can also get chassis parts, motors, driver sets and a broad selection of tender parts. This means you can even repair/replace your mechanism. Before you go for all of that, however, add up the total cost for the new parts. If you must buy a large number of parts, especially major pieces like the boiler and tender body, you might find it more economical to purchase a whole new loco. NB: Don't discard the intact parts of the old loco. Start a parts and leftovers cache in a small box; you'll be surprised how often you will find just what you need in your junk box. I've had one my whole model railroading life and it's as valuable to me as my tools. I dare say this is one statement with which few if any fellow modelers will argue.

If your engine was made by another manufacturer, go to their web site and see what parts they have. You may find another company with a parts selection as complete as Bachmann's but I don't think you'll find a better one. Between their warranty and parts programs Bachmann offers, in my opinion, the best customer support in model railroading, at least for HO. I don't know enough to say much about other scales.
                                                               -- D