News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

motor that won't work

Started by ewing railroad, June 17, 2014, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewing railroad

i recently got a Bachmann ho engine that has the old style rear drive motor that stands up in the frame.even when putting power direct to the motor,it won't do anything.any suggestions,other than make a dummy unit out of it?i fear someone has run it wide open and burned it up,it looks good,hate to give up on it,HELP!!!

Desertdweller

You might be able to order a replacement motor from Bachmann.

Les

Doneldon

ewing-

Did you purchase this loco new from a Bachmann dealer? If so, you can return the loco to them
for repair or replacement. Alternately, you can return the loco with $25 for the same deal.

You should also be able to obtain a refund from the person who sold you the loco.
                                                                                                                          -- D

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on June 17, 2014, 10:35:16 PM
ewing-

Did you purchase this loco new from a Bachmann dealer? If so, you can return the loco to them
for repair or replacement. Alternately, you can return the loco with $25 for the same deal.

You should also be able to obtain a refund from the person who sold you the loco.
                                                                                                                          -- D

I am surprised you got one of those old ones from a Bachmann dealer. Those are suppose to be long gone. That is what is known as a pancake motor as you described it.

Returning it to Bachmann for $25.00 and you will get a newer model.
As an example, a few years ago I bought a two motor 44 ton off of ebay. I converted it to DCC but it eventually cracked a gear. I rewired the loco for DC and sent it back.
At the time, I think it was $10.00 for a replacement and I was went a single motor DCC ready. What a deal.

Rich

jbrock27

Whether it gets to be a "deal" depends on the cost of the loco to start with.  If the total purchase price for this thing was $25 (or more), add $25 + postage to send back and that is the more than a comparable cost of finding and buying a better running and detailed DC loco to begin with.  Plus, add in the possibility of not being certain what you are getting back on the send in for "repair" model because this particular model is history. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

ewing railroad

thanks for all the replies,this engine was part of a group of train items bought at an auction for $12.if Bachmann would send me a new engine for $25 in exchange for the old one,what a deal!i have many Bachmann engines and like them very much.where can i find out the details on this program?Jim

richg

Quote from: ewing railroad on June 18, 2014, 06:38:57 PM
thanks for all the replies,this engine was part of a group of train items bought at an auction for $12.if Bachmann would send me a new engine for $25 in exchange for the old one,what a deal!i have many Bachmann engines and like them very much.where can i find out the details on this program?Jim

Right above in Parts.
Do yourself a big favourer. Spend some time looking through ALL the Bachmann pages. Many fail to do that and most of the time the info is here.
The is where I found the info I posted for you in a previous message.

Rich

Bucksco

Things that sound too good to be true usually are just that. Bachmann's limited lifetime warranty applies to items that are purchased new from a retailer. The warranty card needs to be sent in after purchase and a copy of the original sales receipt needs to be submitted for warranty service. Items purchased second hand do not fit this criteria.

richg

Quote from: Yardmaster on June 18, 2014, 10:06:46 PM
Things that sound too good to be true usually are just that. Bachmann's limited lifetime warranty applies to items that are purchased new from a retailer. The warranty card needs to be sent in after purchase and a copy of the original sales receipt needs to be submitted for warranty service. Items purchased second hand do not fit this criteria.

Why is that I sent in a 44 ton with cracked gear and got a new one? I bought the older 44 ton off of ebay.

Rich

jbrock27

Rich raises a good question. 
Is there some confusion here perhaps Mr. B?  Are you referring to the guidelines for a FOC (free of charge) repair?  As opposed a $25 fee sent with a loco for repair or replacement, that is simply more than 1 year old and does not have a registered warranty card on file?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: ewing railroad on June 18, 2014, 06:38:57 PM

ewing-

Please don't ruin things for the rest of us. Bachmann has a terrific warranty policy but it's not for wholesale locomotive replacement.

Use the new buyer service if you bought your loco new within the past year and can prove it. That's just fine. And pay the fee for a repair/replacement if a loco failed on you. But, don't plan to buy a box of junk and have Bachmann trade you a box of new locos for $25 each. That's the best way I can think of to make Bachman limit their warranty terms. Plus, it's dishonest and unethical. It should be criminal. Actually, it probably is since you are perpetrating a fraud with this behavior. Yes, the odds are that Bachmann wouldn't try to bring charges but that doesn't make the behavior ok.

If something I wrote sounded like I was telling you to screw or exploit Bachmann you read it wrong. Handle this the way your parents taught you to behave.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

ACY

Quote from: richg on June 18, 2014, 10:24:12 PM
Why is that I sent in a 44 ton with cracked gear and got a new one? I bought the older 44 ton off of ebay.
Rich,
If you read the warranty card included with the locomotive it clearly states that it is a lifetime limited warranty for the locomotive for the ORIGINAL owner of the locomotive. Locomotives not purchased brand new from a Bachmann authorized retailer are not covered by the warranty. It is all stated in black and white on the warranty cards included with every new locomotive. If you were under the impression that second hand locomotives were covered by the warranty, then you were mistaken. It is possible Bachmann replaced your 44 tonner as a courtesy to you or it is possible you mistakenly took advantage of Bachmann and defrauded them.

ACY

Quote from: jbrock27 on June 18, 2014, 10:29:36 PM
Rich raises a good question. 
Is there some confusion here perhaps Mr. B?  Are you referring to the guidelines for a FOC (free of charge) repair?  As opposed a $25 fee sent with a loco for repair or replacement, that is simply more than 1 year old and does not have a registered warranty card on file?
Yardmaster has his facts straight, there is no mistake or confusion. Regardless of the period of time or fee, the warranty only is valid for the original owner and only if he bought it brandnew from a Bachmann authorized dealer.

jbrock27

Thank you for the clarification ACY.  I am glad then, that when I purchased a new HO NYC FTA for my son a few Christmas' ago, that I completed the warranty card and mailed it in.  I also made a copy for my records before mailing it.

- buy a box of junk and have Bachmann trade you a box of new locos for $25 each

Doc, your above comment reminded  me of stories I heard a few years ago about people buying LL Bean items out of thrift stores, Salvation Army's, etc and then sending it back to LL Bean to receive replacement items.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

"- buy a box of junk and have Bachmann trade you a box of new locos for $25 each"

Guess it's like an Urban Legend. There is a screening process and Bachmann will not take back a box of parts or flea market engines -  although there are folks out there that try.....