News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gp30 just spins

Started by newguy, October 06, 2014, 10:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy

Hey guys, I haven't been on this board for a few years but now my 8 yr old has fallen in love with my Bachmann trains and he bought his first Bachmann DCC gp30 on Ebay (used). He was very disappointed to find that the locomotive doesn't really move on the tracks even though all the wheels seem to be spinning. I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this. Is it a weight issue? If you really turn up the power it will start to move very slowly but there is no traction. Any suggestions?

Joe Satnik

Dear newguy,

Check to see if both the front and rear wheel sets are spinning in the same direction.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

New-

Welcome back, although I wish it weren't because you are having a new problem.

After you verify whether the wheels are all turning in the same direction, put some weight on the loco with your hand. Do this slowly and gently. What you are trying to do is see if the wheels stop with only a little added pressure. Any loco's wheels will stop with enough pressure which is why you should start with light pressure and slowly release it. If the wheels stop with light pressure you probably have a messed up gear box. I fear this may be the problem. In any event, release the pressure as soon as the wheels stop. You can damage the motor if you continue to apply power while you have the wheels stalled.

Let us know what you learn from your tests.
                                                                    -- D

jbrock27

Newgie, do you have the ability to take the shell off and post pics of the guts of the loco?  Include underside too.
Keep Calm and Carry On

AGSB

Before you start tearing things apart, ckeck to make sure the traction tires are  all there and in good shape.

jbrock27

Traction tires on a DCC equipped locomotive? 
Not that it is impossible, and not that the OP specified what was meant by "used", but what is the likelihood?  In my view, to get at what the problem is, taking, not tearing, things apart is going to be necessary at some point.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

This sounds like it is most likely a broken or cracked gear. The remedy would be to replace the broken or cracked gears, if that doesn't correct the problem then I don't know what will nor will I know the problem. The person you bought the locomotive from probably sold it because they knew it had cracked gears or another problem they didn't want to deal with.

jbrock27

I agree with ACY and believe that, in all likelihood, that is the reason why the seller sold it on Ebay. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Cracked gears highly possible. Shaft loosened up on motor another possibility (one is loose and the other trying to drag the loco around).
Traction tires??? not likely.
Now let's tear that puppy open and take some pics to see if the problem is visible. If it is the shaft on the motor it will not be visible in the pic, but if you look closely you will see the motor turning and the shaft is not or is barely moving.

Jerry

AGSB

Sorry, missed ti was DCC and read the description for "Traditional Line" of Bachmann engines.

Irbricksceo

I'll be honest, in such a situation, I'd try to return it to the seller.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

I don't see the words "Traditional" or "Line" ???

Not a bad idea Brick but not the first course of action I would follow, bc depending on the seller, they may try to force you to spend $$ out of pocket to return it.  Which in this case would be a bunch of baloney.  The cost of shipping it back may also be comparable to the cost of the loco.  And why get stiffed by the seller for shipping bc of their (more than likely) misrepresentation.  Before sending it back to the seller, if I could not find the problem after trying first to find it (there is nothing lost by doing that) I would let the seller know the deal and negotiate from there. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

If the wheels are spinning, it sounds like the wheels are not resting on the rails for some reason or something is dragging.

Stephen D. Richards

newguy,

Hey guys, I haven't been on this board for a few years but now my 8 yr old has fallen in love with my Bachmann trains and he bought his first Bachmann DCC gp30 on Ebay (used). He was very disappointed to find that the locomotive doesn't really move on the tracks even though all the wheels seem to be spinning. I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this. Is it a weight issue? If you really turn up the power it will start to move very slowly but there is no traction. Any suggestions?

A lot of questions need answered here.  First, you said it"doesn't really move on the tracks".  Does it move forward and reverse at all?  When you stated that the wheels seem to be spinning, do both trucfks spin while on or off the tracks?  Several things come to mind right off, check the metal coupler arms to see if the are dragging on the rail/ties!  If they are not, make sure both sets of trucks are spinning.  If they are not, remove the shell, carefully, and verify the driveshafts are where they are suppossed to be.  If they are, and they are spinnig freely when power is applied, check your gears in the trucks.  The may be split.  This is just a start but it may troubleshoot enough to locate the problem!  If none of this workd, take the shell of carefully and photo everything!  Hope this helps and advise your progress.  Stephen

jbrock27

...remove the shell, carefully, and verify the driveshafts are where they are suppossed to be.  If they are, and they are spinnig freely when power is applied, check your gears in the trucks.  The may be split.  This is just a start but it may troubleshoot enough to locate the problem!  If none of this workd, take the shell of carefully and photo everything!

What novel suggestions.  Now why didn't anyone else think of or suggest those things? ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On