News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Engine that is defective.

Started by Bill1462, December 22, 2014, 11:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill1462

I bought a 82716 Spectrum series DCC equipped Pennsylvania RR locomotive at a train show over the weekend. I paid and unfortunately did not get a receipt. The equipment was marked as new, and all of the papers including the registration card were in the box. All of the packing was included, and there was not reason for me to expect that the piece had been used.

When I got home to try it out, it would barely run. I have to the power up to full blast to get it to move at all with either my DC or DCC transformer.

Do I have any way to get this item repaired? As it is it is useless.

ACY

You will likely need to pay the repair fee which is around $30-40 since you don't have a receipt to prove where you bought it was an authorized dealer and that the model was new. Even if you had a receipt,  there is a good chance that they were not an authorized retailer. Might I ask how much you paid for the model

WoundedBear

jbrock27

This underscores why I am always saying what I am saying, about buying merchandise at train shows. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

JBrock;
Caveat Emptor" rules at ALL shows where trash sits comfortably within the bins of "Treasures".  If you are looking for something special, and are carrying big money, do always be careful.
Rich (SGT C)

jbrock27

Sir, yes sir!

Thanks, but looks like Billy could have better used that advice.  I look for my treasures elsewhere for the reasons I have stated several times previously.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Unless I'm buying from a known dealer who also has a store front shop, all I buy at train shows is rolling stock that's visibly not in need of repair or steam locos in any condition for use on my modelled steam scrap line.  After all, I do model 1958 and at many roundhouses at that had a line(s) of retired steam and a train show is a great place to pick up cheap steam to populate the scrap line.

Cheers

Roger T.

AGSB

When buying at a train show, have the seller show you it runs. If he doesn't have a test track to demonstrate it runs, then walk away.

jbrock27

To your point AGSB, if one was that interested in checking is something's motor ran, they could also bring a DC 9 volt battery and a pair of wired alligator clips.  Hook each clip to each post of the battery and touch the other side/clip to the wheels on either side of the loco.  Just like it was sitting on the powered track.  At least with an old fashioned DC locomotive you could test the motor with this setup/method.  I don't know if you would be able to test a DCC loco the same way.  Anyone?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 26, 2014, 07:40:24 PM
To your point AGSB, if one was that interested in checking is something's motor ran, they could also bring a DC 9 volt battery and a pair of wired alligator clips.  Hook each clip to each post of the battery and touch the other side/clip to the wheels on either side of the loco.  Just like it was sitting on the powered track.  At least with an old fashioned DC locomotive you could test the motor with this setup/method.  I don't know if you would be able to test a DCC loco the same way.  Anyone?

If you are buying a DCC loco that is advertised to also run on DC, then at least you can/could test out the DC workings of the loco.  In that case, just clip your alligator clips to the tender wheels and you'll know if the motor and chuffing sounds work.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On