News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roundhouse Progress.

Started by rogertra, October 30, 2007, 04:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Some progress on the roundhouse and turntable rebuild.

Showing some of the track in place: -

All the turntable tracks in place and intial ballasting has taken place.  Locomotives "nesting" on the roundhouse roof have become a problem. Local control panel for turntable and roundhouse tracks just visible.

All the turntable tracks in place and intial ballasting has taken place. "Nesting" locos removed from roof.

A view only visble to the camera: -

kevin2083

that's looking very nice!

I don't have any advice on how to solve the nesting problem
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

I like the stains under the bridge stops.  Great idea.  I may cut my pit hole tomorrow.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on October 30, 2007, 09:15:07 PM
I like the stains under the bridge stops.  Great idea.  I may cut my pit hole tomorrow.
Gene

The stains, while a good idea, are Walthers attempt at "weathering".  I'm not impressed and I'll put my own weathering over the Walthers weathering.

I'm also going to put "cinders" into the pit and hide the "concrete" pit bottom, which is not prototypical in northern climes.  Frost heave would have an adverse effect on the concrete in the winter months.

glsummers

Thanks for the pictures. By the way did you use cork road bed under the track? I didn't think I saw any and I was wandering if using the cork roadbed the tracks would not match up with the turntable. Keep up the good work. Sometime in the future explain in detail how you indexed the turntable; maybe in simpler terms than Walthers instruction sheet. Thanks Larry

SteamGene

What did you use for cinders for the ballast?  It looks to me that the rail is laid on homosote.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

RAM

If you go about ten feet in on the inside of the roundhouse and paint flat black between the rails.
It will look like you have inspection pits for the workers to check under the locomotives.

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on October 31, 2007, 12:29:22 PM
If you go about ten feet in on the inside of the roundhouse and paint flat black between the rails.
It will look like you have inspection pits for the workers to check under the locomotives.
[/quote

I have actual inspection pits but they can't be seen from the normal viewing angle.]

Tyke

Rogertra:

I'm planning to install a 130' turntable with Walthers' Modern Roundhouse (933-2900). What is the distance from the lip of the pit to the rear of your roundhouse?

Tyke

SteamGene

How many inches is it from the lip of the pit to the front of the roundhouse?   I have a really tight clearance!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on October 31, 2007, 04:52:07 PM
How many inches is it from the lip of the pit to the front of the roundhouse?   I have a really tight clearance!
Gene

Gene.

For the H.O. 130ft TT see: -

http://walthers.com/instructions/extras/0933/09330000002829a.pdf

I have the H.O. 90ft TT, see : -

http://www.walthers.com/instructions/extras/0933/09330000002840a.pdf

SteamGene

Thanks, Roger.  I have that template.  I think I'll be alright.  I'll bet it's a squeeze for those heavy Mountains, even with the short tender to spin on a 90' turntable!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Tyke

"How many inches is it from the lip of the pit to the front of the roundhouse?   I have a really tight clearance!
Gene"

I'm trying to do a rough layout, and I need to see how much space I need to allow for the roundhouse, so I' m looking for the distance from the lip of the turntable to the rear of the roundhouse. I'm new to this hobby, so I'm not sure what I'm doing!

Tyke

SteamGene

It's something like 38.5 from the rear of th roundhouse to the opposite side of the pit.  I'll measure it carefully tomorrow and let you know.  I'm about ready to mount pit and first section of roundhouse.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on November 01, 2007, 08:50:42 AM
Thanks, Roger.  I have that template.  I think I'll be alright.  I'll bet it's a squeeze for those heavy Mountains, even with the short tender to spin on a 90' turntable!
Gene

Gene.

The heavies and lights both fit with the 'short' Spectrum USRA tender with a couple of scale feet to spare at each end.   The 2-10-2s fit with a shortened, by 6 scale feet, Bachmann Hicken Oil tender that has also be converted to coal.  However, the pilot and tender's rear steps do overhang the end of the turntable by a scale foot or so.

The heavy Mountains are really for the next GER, whenever I get around to it, where they will be used on through freights along with the 2-10-2s.  The light Mountains will be used mainly on through passenger trains.  None of these classes will be turned on the table.

The turntable on the both the present and future GER is used to turn 2-8-2s, 2-8-0s, 2-10-0s and 4-6-0s and on the future commuter 4-6-2s and, hopefully, when someone makes them (MR. B, YOU LISTENING?), 2-6-0s.