News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

anyone have a review of the 2-8-0?

Started by sedfred, July 08, 2015, 01:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

i just got my 2-8-4 and i love it, the next engine i will acquire is the bachmann 2-8-0. are there any flaws with this locomotive? is it a "must have"?

jonathan

Bachmann's Consolidation (2-8-0) has been their most successful steam locomotive, if I may be so presumptuous. It's size allows it to operate on tight radii.  It runs as well as any steam locomotive model ever produced.  It pulls well for its size. 

I have six: two sounders, one original (with white connector plugs), one new standard version, and two somewhere in between.  They all run and run and run. Whenever they get quirky, I clean the wheels and contacts, then they're back in action.

As with any complicated model, there are a few things that need to be tweaked.  However, these are very minor things we can help you with.

Regards,

Jonathan

richardl

Some have noted a dim headlight in the 2-8-0.

Below is a posting by Jim Banner, a former Bachmann contributor.

http://members.shaw.ca/the.trainman/LV_Workshop/pesky-pickups/

Many have commented on this well running loco in different forums.

A great posting by Jonathan on this loco.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13232.0.html
Rich

electrical whiz kid

Rich;
What I have on mine is this rather spooky shade of green...  Colourful...
Rich C.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I have one of the Spectrum DCC On Board version and one of the newer Standard line version and both are nice runners. However the Standard line version could benefit from a better DCC decoder. I would recommend something like even just a plain Soundtraxx DCC (no sound) decoder. The 8 pin 2 function DCC decoder should do the trick. I use one in my Bachmann Spectrum DMIR 2-10-2 and it now starts on speed step 1 on 128 speed step mode with a soundtraxx DCC (no sound) decoder versus speed step 20-ish with the standard Bachmann decoder in 128 speed step mode.

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
Nothing "presumptuous" about it-you have simply called a spade a spade.  They are great!  My only gripe is that on one, the drive wasn't making good contact with the drivers; so I just picked up a new one, considering the one I have is out of warranty.  They are great runners!

RIch C.

sedfred

the 2-8-0 sounds great but i really don't know if i want that or the 2-10-0, are they both just as good? i haven't heard enough information about it for some reason, is it likely the 2-10-0 in particular will come back?

ACY

Quote from: sedfred on July 08, 2015, 06:52:48 PMis it likely the 2-10-0 in particular will come back?
If the decapod (2-10-0) is rerun, it will probably be at least 2 or 3 years from now going by past history. However with that said there is still a good number of them out there especially on ebay last I saw. The 2-8-0 Consolidation is obviously still in production and will be much easier to obtain from an actual shop in Canada. If you have reservations about ebay then you may not be able to get a 2-10-0 very easily in Canada.

sedfred

it is a tossup between the 2-6-0, 2-8-0, and 2-10-0, i can't decide at all! IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZZZYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! i have seen the 2-10-0 still available on a site called half price hobby for 187 bucks. but my goal is to get a new ho scale locomotive before the summer ends on a budget of 20 bucks per week mowing lawns. if the 2-10-0 takes really long would it still be worth the wait? i know for a fact if i wanted the 2-8-0 or 2-6-0 i will be able to get it before summer ends.

RAM

If I could only have one of the three, it would be the 2-8-0.  The 2-8-0 was the GP of the steam locomotives. 

richardl

Quote from: sedfred on July 08, 2015, 09:19:37 PM
it is a tossup between the 2-6-0, 2-8-0, and 2-10-0, i can't decide at all! IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZZZYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! i have seen the 2-10-0 still available on a site called half price hobby for 187 bucks. but my goal is to get a new ho scale locomotive before the summer ends on a budget of 20 bucks per week mowing lawns. if the 2-10-0 takes really long would it still be worth the wait? i know for a fact if i wanted the 2-8-0 or 2-6-0 i will be able to get it before summer ends.

I am seeing the HO 2-8-0 DCC, no sound for about $110 at The Favorite Spot. A very good train supplier I have bought from.
They do not show the 2-10-0. but that can change. Depends on when the ship comes in from China.

I Googled Bachmann HO 2-10-0 and found some suppliers. Only with sound from what I could see.

When you are able to buy, Google or ask here. Others here keep up with suppliers and prices.

Rich

sedfred

i did once find a site which was a treasure trove of discontinued engines, it had 4-6-0s, 2-10-0s, 2-10-2s, K4s, everything still in stock! of course it doesn't ship to canada.... murphy's law! also does the favorite spot have scary shipping and duty? i live in canada and want to find a loco that does not exceed 150 to 160 bucks

Irbricksceo

It should be noted that the 2-8-0 takes a lot of power to start (I need to go to about 30/128 speed steps whereas my 2-8-2 starts at 1 and the 2-10-0 around 3) But they ate strong pullers that look nice
Modeling NYC in N

richardl

Quote from: sedfred on July 09, 2015, 12:31:45 AM
i did once find a site which was a treasure trove of discontinued engines, it had 4-6-0s, 2-10-0s, 2-10-2s, K4s, everything still in stock! of course it doesn't ship to canada.... murphy's law! also does the favorite spot have scary shipping and duty? i live in canada and want to find a loco that does not exceed 150 to 160 bucks

Very simple. Check The Favorite Spot website. They have a Contact email address.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

Brick;
What have you tried to get through that problem?  Suggestion, as many have mentioned;  Have you lubed the joints, such as the rod assemblies, and LIGHTLY lube the worm with a recommended grease.  Something else you might have overlooked are the phosphor bronze contact "brushes" that make contact with the drivers?  They are between the chassis and the backs of the drivers; pretty ingenious!  Check those for good contact.  Go easy, because you can  distort them. 

As far as a "choice of locomotives, I would say hands down, the 2-8-0.  For appearances, pulling power and performance, I believe it to be a better choice.
Rich C.