News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Niagara 4-8-4

Started by bnsfIA, September 17, 2015, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnsfIA

I bought a Niagara  4-8-4 used at a local thrift shop and it needs to be repaired/replaced.
Could it be covered under the lifetime warranty?
Thanks

richardl

Welcome.
Not if it's used. Repair or replacement. A lot depends on age of loco for repair.

Since you are new, take time to look all round the Bachmann site as there is a lot of good info about Bachmann trains.

Check the Parts page. All kinds of repair, replacement info.

I have sent in a old two motor HO 44 tonner with cracked gear and got a new DCC ready 44 tonn3er. Cost me what they show for replacement.

Rich

alco9000fan

Howdy! Bachmann typically covers all of their stuff under warranty either it be new or old. Usually they just ask to send a certain amount and the engine with shipping. A call to their service dept could shed some light on your delemia. Best of luck to you man.

Marc.

richardl

This spells it out but a call might help. Some times the replacement might be what Bachmann calls "equal value replacement" if the exact loco is not in stock.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear IA,
Your second-hand loco will not be covered, but the service department will be happy to do their best for you.
It's like buying a car at a service station and taking it to a dealer and asking for warranty repairs...
I think you'll still be happy with their efforts.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

bnsfIA

jbrock27

I would like to know how this all plays out.
Keep Calm and Carry On

bnsfIA

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

bnsfIA

Ok, so I sent it in and they got it yesterday. They said that they would replace it with something else for $25.
We'll see what I get. ;D

electrical whiz kid

Doc Wayne;
I had a really good experience with Bachmann this year.  If I had to suggest a company for the "good will" poster child, Bachmann would be it!  Rarely is it have I seen a company that would go all out of their way to put a smile on a customer's face and good thought in their head, but Bachmann is it!
In talking to the guys in parts dept., I kind of got the idea that parts are available per what they have in inventory for their own repair/replacement service, and I am OK with that.  I don't know, but Being in business really gives you a pretty fair perspective of how things are done right up the echelon.
At any rate, my hat's off to Bachmann, and will certainly regard their company as tops!!

On replacement gears:
My standard operation is to replace with brass or bronze, unless it is critical that nylon be used; and I do this for a number of reasons, one being that brass is a better, smoother run than nylon-but that is my choice-not any other reason.

Parts:   Again, I lean towards brass, but for two reasons:  The added weight, and the material's ability for high resolution; even though EG:  Engineering plastics are really good.  As some of you know, I am an Elesco nut, and these parts add the weight to the ponies really well!

At any rate, Onward and upwards, Bachmann!!

Rich C.

jbrock27

Do you use brass on brass or any other metal on metal?  Reason I ask, is my understanding is that metal on plastic is ok and works well, as does plastic on plastic,  but metal on metal, creates more wear and tear.  Just curious.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Thank you doctor.  And yes, I am quite familiar with diesel locomotives that have delrin/plastic gear boxes with all delrin/plastic gears.

So, is what I heard/my understanding about the materials correct?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Delrin gears get used in HO & N primarily because of reduced friction, and lower production costs, than small metal spur gears and worm wheels. Metal worms are easier, since they can be mass produced on a screw thread machine.

Larger locos, S & O, often use brass spur gears and worm wheels with steel worms because of the improved wear characteristics in the heavier locos. Smaller 'starter set' locos often use Delrin gears though. Large Scale, G, is a mixed bag depending on manufcaturer, loco size, and weight.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Thank you Len, but I was aware that delrin gears are low friction.  Also, it makes sense of course that producing delrin/plastic is cheaper than producing metal.  And thank you for the info re: larger (than HO) scale locos.

However none of this or the just prior info provided, answers my original question. 
Perhpas no one knows, which is why I am getting info on everything but. ???
Keep Calm and Carry On