News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Radius minimums for HO Steam Locos

Started by steamer6060, May 15, 2008, 05:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamer6060

Good day all!
Might I inquire as to where one could find the minimum radius requirements for Bachmann locos, specifically their steamers? The website provides minimum information on their products but seldom mentions track radius requirements. Perhaps this oversight could be checked into and corrected? Thanks much! For the time being, I am asking specifically about the 3751 class 4-8-4s and what the heck, the GS4s as well.
Thank you in advance.

SteamGene

The adveritzed may be 18 inch radius, but I would recommend nothing smaller than 22.  Broader is better.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Good Morning,

My experience shows that whatever the manufacturer claims as the minimum radius,  add two inches.  So...22in recommended,  make it 24 in radius to be safe.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

sparkyjay31

Quote from: SteamGene on May 15, 2008, 09:44:43 AM
The adveritzed may be 18 inch radius, but I would recommend nothing smaller than 22.  Broader is better.
Gene

My 2-8-0 Spectrum has no problem with 18" radius.  And I would recommend nothing smaller.  Getting down to a 15" radius means you will be running small switchers only ( 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 ) and rolling stock of 40' or shorter.  I think that at 18" you can pretty much run anything short of articulated steamers and 80' passenger cars. 
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

djp

22" is a nice curve. Not too big not small. The longest wheelbase loco's will work on it. If you use 18" you will have a tough time with a 4-8-2, 2-10-2, 2-8-4 [ask me i am suffering right now]. They do a terrible job going round the turn and if you are a stickler for looks, forget it.
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

Remember that the ability of a steam locomotive to negotiate a tight radius depends on may things, one of which is the builder.  I have a PFM Crown C&O K-3 which may not be able to negotiate my 30" radii.
The other thing is - okay, it will negotiate an 18" radius curve.  What does it look like and what must you clear out of the way to allow clearance?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtnut

The smaller Bachmann power (2-8-0, 2-10-0, 4-6-0, 4-4-0) will handle 18" curves OK.  The bigger power, while it might technically negotiate 18" curves, doesn't like it a whole lot, and you are much better off with 22". 

Yampa Bob

The 2-8-2 Mikado isn't much bigger than my connies, but looks terrible on 18".  The distance from the rear driver to the cab end is over 2",  so the cab swings way wide on tight curves.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

I have a 4-6-6-4  Athern Challenger and a 2-6-6-2  from Rivarossi that run very well on 18" curves and look good too . The secret is the articulation of the drivers.
Don

djp

I have the little Mantua 2-6-6-2 articulated and that works well on 18". It's very small so it looks fine. I cannot afford the Bigboy or the Challenger ;D. Not in this life atleast.
Get Off My Train !!!

rogertra

I guess it's personal but no articulated looks good going around 18" radius curves.  In fact, nothing much over a 2-8-0 looks good going around 18" curves.

My minimum visible curve is 28" and my bigger power, 4-8-2s and 2-10-2s look "odd" going around even that radius  Even the 2-8-2s don't look too pretty.  Fortunately (Or unfortunately) nothing larger than a 2-8-0 or 4-6-2 hauls trains around the visible 28" curves of the "Berger Sub".  The larger power is banned west of Granville Junction on the Berger Sub, "Account curvature and light bridges".

Atlantic Central

Here on the Atlantic Central curves are 36" radius minimum. And even at that we simply do not have any locos with a rigid wheel base of more than 20 scale feet.

That means no 2-10-2's, 2-10-4's, no 4-8-4's with 80"+ drivers like GS4"s, no PRR T-1's, etc.

We do have lots of articulated locos, 2-8-8-2's, 2-6-6-2's, 2-6-6-6's, 2-6-6-4's - but even at that, none of those are Big boy's or Challenger's with their large drivers and corespondingly longer wheel bases.

We avoid 80' passenger cars for appearance reasons as well.

I understand that not everyone has this kind of space, but the fact is that even 36" radius curves are well below most prototype curves, especially for a large Class I line like I model.

Sheldon

SteamGene

The Mantua 2-6-6-2 is a model of a narrow gauge logging locomotive.  It is small and designed to navigate tight radii. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

WoundedBear

Quote from: SteamGene on May 16, 2008, 06:07:25 PM
The Mantua 2-6-6-2 is a model of a narrow gauge logging locomotive.  It is small and designed to navigate tight radii. 
Gene

You're correct in that Gene.

I have one of the 2-6-6-2T versions......no troubles at all on 18" and no overhang.

Sid

Sunshine Express

I have an 8x4 HO Layout,triple track. Main curves are 18",but on the third inside track which is really for switching the radius is less than this .On the mainline curves I have used some Peco long curved points,which most locos sail through.But a 4-6-0 Model Power Casey Jones would not tolerate them,off came the front bogey nearly every time. A mate at our Train Club said he has one and they won't negotiate Peco Curved Points. Sold this loco with warnings to the buyer.He brought it to the club and with the large curves never went better,but no enjoyment for me at home.
Now here is  a report on the various steamers I have . Spectrum 0-6-0 Tender Loco,hardly ever derails used sensibly. Spectrun 0-6-0 Saddle Tank great. Bachmann 4-4-0 Jupiter,very good. Spectrum 4-6-0 American new,derails sometimes on parts of my less than perfect lines,front bogey very light. 0-8-0 Japan "New Model"(1960's),flanges only on front and back drivers,hates all curves,goes great on the straights,does not derail. Rivarossi Mikado 2-8-2 (1970's),just bought it,goes everywhere ,even on the torture curve into the 3rd tracl inside,but does a little struggle,which was only a test,not a regular movement and not expected.
German outline - Roco Mikado 2-8-2 Tank goes anywhere,chassis is swivelled. Fleischmann 0-4-0 Tank the same.. Others I have since sold,were IHC Pacific and Mikado,both good on 18" curves. Hope this adds to your list of test Locomotives on the Forum :)
Owen C Robinson