News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-2 - Mikado

Started by Pacific Northern, May 22, 2009, 12:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Well I took the plunge and bought a Spectrum 2-8-2 Mikado.

I have spent the day breaking in this engine. It was a bit stiff to start but after around six hours of running off and on it is now running very smooth, slow speed is great.

The amount of piping detail really surprised me. There is more detail pieces on the Spectrum Mike that there is on the Proto 2-8-4.

The Mike is one  great looking engine. The coal tender reminds me of the smaller coal tenders of the CNR and CPR.

This engine is only a bit larger that the Spectrum 2-8-0, the new 2-8-4 dwarfs this engine.

I would also comment on the packaging. This engine comes in a different size presentation box that the rest of the Spectrum engines. The engine and tender can be kept together once you have connected the wiring. I only wish that the other Spectrum engines could be kept together (engine connected to tender) and stored in the original box like the Mike.

Why are not all of the Bachmann steam engines packaged like this?

Anyway, I just ordered another Mike I am so pleased.
Pacific Northern

jonathan

It's always great to get a new engine that turns out as nice as you hoped.  Congrats!

BTW, I have "reworked" the inards of my 2-8-0 boxes so I can store them in one piece, without having to disconnect the wires.  Took a little while, but it's worth it.

S,

Pacific Northern

Quote from: jonathan on May 22, 2009, 07:30:36 AM
It's always great to get a new engine that turns out as nice as you hoped.  Congrats!

BTW, I have "reworked" the inards of my 2-8-0 boxes so I can store them in one piece, without having to disconnect the wires.  Took a little while, but it's worth it.

S,

Yes, I will rework the Spectrum boxes as well so that I can store the Steamers and leave the connections to the tender pluged in. Those flimsy plugs do concern me.
Pacific Northern

Mac Daddy Hoon

Hello,

I hope someone can help a couple of newbies.  My son just received the 2-8-2 Mikado Susquehanna.  What a cool engine!

The instructions, however, were a bit light.  Can someone please explain to me what the package of black/gray powder that was included in the box is for?  Also, there appears to be an extra detail part.  Does anyone know where this is supposed to be mounted? 

Pictures would be great, if available.

Thanks for any and all help,
Scott

ABC

The powder is for extra detail on the tender and/or locomotive and is completely optional and to your discretion how you use it. Affix the powder with a water glue mixture.

Doneldon

Mac-

The powder is to simulate soot and/or grime.  Bachmann doesn't put it on their locos because many modelers want locos in pristine condition, although that is pretty much non-prototypical.  Also, enclosing the powder let's the purchaser use it as s/he sees fit.  For example, just a little soot near the stack and maybe some dirt thrown up by the wheels, or the start of a major weathering job.

Just spray on a bit of flat finish and sprinkle or, better, blow the powder onto the wet surface.  I think you'll be pleased with the results.
                                                                                              -- D

Mac Daddy Hoon

ABC, and D -

Thanks for the advice.

Scott