News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

50 ton climax

Started by dagnarble, June 25, 2010, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Apparently you have not been here before. It is a known fact the two truck Climax has been out of production for sometime. Any Bachmann loco that is out of production is replaced by one of equal value. I have seen this policy reflected in other forums when someone had a loco out of production.
NWSL is supposed to be producing parts for the Spectrum 50 ton Climax. Don't know the details.
The cracked gear issue is a well known fact in this loco.

I had a two motor 44 tonner that had one motor go bad. I received a single motor 44 tonner which was an advantage for me.

The three truck Shay also has had cracked gear issues

Rich

dagnarble

That's what I thought too. I had read about the replacement policy and presumed it would be for fair vaue. So what happened here?

EBradbury

There are a number of issues with the climax -gears-trucks
1. A single universal does not have to be in sinc.  They do have to be in sinc if you have a shaft with a universal at both ends, the climax has a single universal.
2. Another problem with my climax is there are 2 rings on the 4 wheel shafts that locate the shafts from side-to-side.  they are split.  Tough replacement; you need to remove the truck wheel(s) to replace these rings.  I am working on another method that will not require wheel removal.
3.  The drive universal between the main gearbox and front truck drive shaft is split; like the gears.  These are really small universal yokes.  Not sure if one from a shay will work.
4.  I heard recently that NWSL is working on the gears - they told me the gears are coming.

ABC

Quote from: dagnarble on August 09, 2010, 10:37:51 PMThat's what I thought too. I had read about the replacement policy and presumed it would be for fair vaue. So what happened here?
There is a very simple and straightforward answer: The shays without sound are not currently in production (and are out of stock), and a shay with sound costs $450, a lot more than a Climax without any sound. You should have been offered these locos at the very least 0-6-0, 0-6-0T, 2-6-0, 2-6-2, 4-4-0 (standard) early. The Climax was only about $120 when it originally came out, maybe if you got ripped off you paid the MSRP of about $140. I did some searching, and found that Peach Creek was selling them for only $100 back in 2005. The 2-8-0 is $145 currently, but no other steam locos are around the same price.

polekat62

Dag-I had same thing happen to me just over a month ago.After talking to Bachmann on the phone,I decided to send engine back.Recieved a phone call a couple weeks later saying it was unrepairable and was given the same offer of replacement you recieved,so choose 0 6 0 Saddle Tank Switcher which arrived in a broken condition,but one of the members in our model train club was able to repair it.Their was also a $25.00 repair Bill enclosed.I just recently Emailed Bachmann questioning the repair bill especially when having to fix the replacement 0 6 0 . I also asked them by phone at the time that if the engine was unrepairable, could we (train Club)have the old engine back for parts as other members have similar engines.TOO bad we were not offered a discount on the newlly announced 50 Ton 2 Truck Climax with sound.

Pacific Northern

The MSP of the Climax was $275.00 for the DCC ready version.

I would talk to one of the Bachmann Service Managers about the offered trade for your
engine.

Does not at all sound like a reasonable engine swap.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Yeah in retrospect $275 sounds more like it, the website must not have been accurate or maybe it was a sale price I saw.

dagnarble

Thank you Pacific Northern I paid $ 235.00 and thought I did o.k. but after reading some replies it sounded like I got ripped off. I sent a P.M. to Mr. Bachmann last week about it but have not received any suggestions back as yet.

dagnarble

Sent an email off to the service dept explaining all the details. Guess it's wait and see now.

dagnarble

Just got off the phone with a very nice lady from Bachmann. We discussed my situation and she went out of her way to make me happy. Kudos to their customer service unit.