Another Hobby Store Goes Under

Started by jonathan, November 20, 2011, 09:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

The loss of the local hobby shop cuts deeper than the reasons already given.  No one has mentioned the loss of social contacts involved.

The local hobby shop is a place where local modellers meet and associate with each other.  A good LHS owner (who manages his own shop) will get to know who his customers are, and what they are into modelling.  He can facilitate networking among his customers.  Not only does this help his customers, it helps the store by identifying and solidifying its customer base.

Sometimes, this goes even farther.  Where I lived in Mississippi, the local hobby shop provided the local chapter of IPMS with a place to meet. (IPMS- International Plastic Modelers' Society: an organization devoted to building static plastic models).  IPMS in turn, sponsered area model contests, at which LHS stores could market their goods.

My LHS is fifty miles away, but the owner and myself are on a first-name basis.

Les

NarrowMinded

Jward and Desertdweller,
You both bring up great points, the only time I see another modeler face to face is at the LHS, I'm not into clubs to many politics for me, one of my favorite things is when the LHS brings out boxes of forgotten items from the back room, many no longer made, also once in a while someone brings boxes full of unwanted train items to the LHS to sell, I always seem to find something good when I rumage around.

NM-Jeff

Thomas1911

I'm sad to say I do the majority of my shopping online.  If I had a hobby shop in my area that was worth a darn, I would frequent them more often.  Only things I go for are anymore is building supplies and such.  One of the shops did have a knowledgeable older gentleman that was very helpful, but he retired a number of years ago.  While he was there, I could get about anything I needed and the shop stocked much more train related items.  The shops cater more to the R/C crowd now, and the employees are mostly kids just out of high school that don't know jack about squat.

CNE Runner

I have to agree with Thomas1911 in that most of the hobby shops, I have visited, are overwhelmingly R/C oriented. We have an excellent place in Huntsville, AL that is probably 90% R/C. Having said that, their selection of brass, wood, wire, styrene, and adhesives is second to none. At my last visit (needed some 0.016" wire) I was shown an Aeronca 7AC that cost several hundred dollars!! Now I see why hobby shops are moving from plastic models and trains to R/C. This store sells everything from cars to helicopters, to boats, and fixed-wing aircraft. Check out the RC Hobby Barn on the Internet.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Thomas1911

It doesn't bother me so much that the hobby shops are more R/C oriented being that, now don't judge me too harshly, I do partake in those hobbies as well.  I have a fondness of assembling things, whether it be trains, planes, cars, boats, and then being able to see those things operate (don't get me started on the whole RTR, ARF, RTF thing >:().  But I still don't give the shops my patronage.  Its mostly the lack of knowlege that keeps me away.  If it weren't for this forum and others, I'd have a real problem getting the info that I need.

doug c

"...to bargain shop. I research what I want and then I find it for the cheapest price... Most of the time, that's online.." 

Been  doing this forever during times of yearly taxable income,  being either 80k or 10k !   

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

NarrowMinded

I went into my LHS to buy a Micro 3d Heli   for my nephew who had asked me to teach him to fly one, the kid behind the counter started telling me all about which one was best, I picked one I liked, he said their store policy was to test all R/C's before they leave the store to make sure they work, I watched as he plugged in the battery then turned it on and did a quick little hover...  he set the radio down at which point I picked it up and flew the helicopter around the shop acting like it was out of control then bought it back over to the counter and landed it, I about died laughing at the look on the condescending little brats face.

Nm-Jeff

CNE Runner

Jeff - As a 'retired' flight instructor I used to have students do that with the real fixed-wing aircraft...which is probably why our wine bill has dropped drastically since I no longer instruct. Recently I looked at an R/C model of a Fairchild 24W that was going for over $1,000 (this was custom built and had an electric motor turning the 'fan')! I guess there are others that are infected with the 'modeling' fever...that Fairchild sure was a nice ship though.

Cheers,
Ray

NarrowMinded

CNE Runner,

Those are Pretty, I've not flown one but they look as though they would be a joy to fly, as I mentioned My days of crashing $100 dollar bills into the ground have passed.

Brushless motors and new battery technology have come a long way, they make it possible to get a decent flight time from and electric powered R/C, but at the same time take a little flavor away from the experience of flying them.

One of these days if I have a chance to build a permanent outdoor railway I will look into making it R/C.

NM-Jeff

blwfish

I guess I have a different view. I routinely pay more at a LHS, since I get a lot of valuable information from the staff. (Almost) nobody on the Internet is going to spend two hours with me talking about DCC stuff or the differences between Shinohara and Atlas switches, so I can figure out which one to buy. Even if I can find that, it takes a lot longer. It's worth the 10-15% premium for that. (And I also have a personal code of ethics about this: if I spent their two hours, I'm buying it from them unless there's some reason I can't.)

I'm price sensitive just like everyone else. If my LHS has to buy a Spectrum 4-6-0 for 20% more than I can buy it online, and I haven't availed myself of specific services about it, I'm sure as heck going to buy it online. (Or, in my case, a different, not-local HS near one of my traveling offices.)  No kidding, my non-LHS in a big western city (I live on the east coast) sells the same item for 20% less than my LHS has to buy it.

I have two LHS - one is the full-service one that I spend most of the money with, because they stock (or will order) what I need/want, and because they have the staff who can help me. The other gets essentially none of my business despite being marginally closer, because, well, they don't stock what I want and don't have the staff to help. I don't even consider driving there - it's so much easier to just click, if I'm not going to get service. At least as far as I am concerned, one of these LHS is very much at risk, the other is not.

NarrowMinded

Blwfish,
10% to 15% I could live with but my Local store is much higher above Internet prices then that, They make a lot their money from first timers or gift givers which is fine, I wish they would give a frequent buyer discount but they don't I have mentioned it.

I do buy most to all of my track (except "G") from them and scenery items which is a Great deal since my thing is making small table top layouts for people/kids.

NM-Jeff

RAM

Remember the LHS pays the shipping cost. 

2foot6

I lost my local hobby shop eleven years ago,since then i have had to drive eighty two miles(each way) to the nearest shop,needless to say i don,t get there often and when i do, i find it is cheaper by far to buy on line from America,pay freight and wait three weeks for the items to arrive.I too,like to feel,smell, hold and closely look at the items,but can,t always do that,taking a risk of buying items on the internet can be reduced by precautions that generally works.BUT at the end of the day,a closing shop makes it hard to meet other modellers,get expert advise,first hand knowledge of others,keeping the money of transactions local,keeping local people in a job and in my case,i feel isolated from the hobby,(except for finding information in books or on the internet)unless i can get to an exhibition some where. >:( >:( >:(

CNE Runner

This thread seems to have 'touched a nerve' as it seems to be self-perpetuating. After reading the insightful posts, I have to admit that I am ready to patronize a LHS. As RAM mentioned, the LHS "pays the shipping costs"...and in today's world that ain't chump change (its going up again after the holidays). [You do realize that you pay the shipping costs...only it is spread across the entire order; bringing your share 'way down.]

NM: The days of renting an aircraft for $100/hour are long gone in most parts of the country (thank you FAA and insurance companies). Most primary instruction is conducted in either Piper Cherokees or Cessna Skyhawks. In either case they approach (or exceed based on the market) $200/hour. I used to do tailwheel instruction in an Aeronca 7AC Champion (65 hp) and the FBO charged $85/hour for just the aircraft! That must put all the money we spend on model railroading in perspective. [BTW: this is a good argument to use with your significant other when you need a new model railroad thing-a-ma-bob.]

Enjoy,
Ray

blwfish

> LHS pays the shipping cost

But there's also another thing: the distributor pays the shipping if the order is large enough. The LHS that I work with does usually have a big enough order with the bigger distributors (certainly Walthers) to avoid a shipping bill. Of course, I think we pay it no matter what, it's just hidden better in some places than others.