News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Bachmann Thomas

Started by Cheeky_ULP, July 18, 2018, 03:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelob6660

I can see what you mean.

Those side rods cover half the wheels. You could slightly trim them, but not sure it'll be reliable.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Kemptown Branch

Hey everyone, I've decided to make a scene inspired by this set. The only difference is that it'll be done as a single track line.

Here's the track layout:

After getting the track glued down, I began weathering the track using a process inspired by a process I found on RMWeb. First, I painted the sleepers chocolate (that was the color I had to hand), then I painted the rails in rust. After that, I weathered the sleepers using Tamiya mud, snow, and soot. Here are a few pictures of the track.

I feel like this is finally beginning to come together, which is pretty nice! I'd also like to do the watermill someday, although I don't know when I'll start it.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Kemptown Branch

Here's James! He appears to have a fully open cab, and the paint looks nice!

Chaz

The N scale James also looks very good too.  Not a single paint error on this model either from what I can tell (little hard to make out the color of his wheels).  I am looking forward to discussing further thoughts on the model again once released.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Falcon the 2nd

Likewise with Daisy, I'm quite happy to see that James' N Scale model is coming along nicely. He was always my favorite character in the show, so I'll be glad to pick him up later on.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

Kemptown Branch

I also just realized that James' front wheels have spokes all the way through them! It'll be interesting to see if the other wheels will be the same way or not.

TrainFan97

Unlike his HO Scale model, James' N Scale model actually has an open cab. Can't wait for better images to show up.

After James, we're getting Toby for N Scale.

The 5th engine would be anyone's guess. Emily is possible, but could make the N Scale range too similar to Large Scale. There's also Edward, who would be very popular, and is another medium-sized engine, but was recently mistreated and disrespected by Mattel. Gordon and Henry are the two big engines from the original Steam Team, and would be very popular sellers in the N Scale range, and both should be made simultaneously, since they'd share the same chassis (with Gordon's having trailing wheels) with slightly different bodies and different tender shapes.

Bachmann also has the Graham Farish toolings for Gordon's Express Coaches, so there's that.

EDIT:

After seeing how great HO Scale Daisy turned out, I already want to see an N Scale model of her. I know it may not happen for a while, especially since her HO Scale model isn't even available just yet, and we still have some original Steam Team members left to be announced. If Daisy does get made in N Scale, it shouldn't take anywhere near as long. Large Scale Diesel was ready quickly because Bachmann just needed to scale up his HO Scale tooling to Large Scale. Daisy's tooling had to be made completely from scratch, but if she does get made in N Scale, Bachmann just needs to scale down her HO Scale tooling to N Scale. Then, Bachmann would have two models of her.

Whatever the next N Scale engine is, I'd welcome any of these with open arms:

-Edward
-Henry
-Gordon
-Emily
-Mavis
-Diesel
-Bill and Ben
-Daisy
-Ryan (if we get Daisy)

Emily was the first female engine to be made in both HO and Large Scales. It would most likely be the case for N Scale too. Right now, the N Scale range is still in its infancy. I feel the most likely candidates are Emily, Edward, Henry, or Gordon. Should Diesel be the first diesel in the N Scale range? Before Toby was announced, we decided he (Toby) was best to be next. Now, who should come following Toby? Let's figure this out.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Falcon the 2nd

The idea of an N Scale model of Daisy does sound pretty nice, but it does seem a tad bit early to consider her in another scale and especially after it has taken some good time to get her HO Scale model finished. Still a neat idea to think of nonetheless and also a good point made with scaling her tooling down.

Most of the engines that Bachmann previously made in HO & Large Scale have fair chances of being next in N Scale and most of them have fair potential for good sales among fans, so it's very hard to make a certain guess with only four basic engines to go by.

I do happen to have a few personally hoped-for options for a new engine following Toby and I felt like sharing them along with my reasons for wanting them:

• Edward - His physique is somewhat similar to James and he seems more likely to happen in N Scale than Large Scale taking costs into consideration. If Bachmann doesn't feel ready for Gordon and/or Henry just yet, I can see Edward being an appropriate compromise that many fans would still be very happy with. The only big issue would be Mattel's treatment of him in recent years and how that affects his likelihood. Otherwise, Edward would be an easy smash-hit in N Scale. It helps that multiple fans in Japan have made their own custom models of him within the past few years.
  • Mavis - She is a generally cost-effective option since her design isn't too complicated and Toby's chassis could be reused. Her HO Scale model was a hit and I could see her being successful in N Scale since we haven't gotten any merchandise of her in many years. Mavis was also the first diesel engine in HO Scale and it would make sense to follow suit with N Scale. Maybe Bachmann could make her both the first diesel and female engine in N Scale. Likewise with Edward, Mattel would be the only big issue.
  • Duck - This is a bit of a left-field option, but Duck has become one of my favorite characters recently. I'm not certain about his likelihood in Large Scale (even if he isn't that big), but I would be down for seeing him in N Scale. Many people were grateful to see Duck in HO Scale and his basis was also previously made in N Scale by Dapol and Graham Farish, so I don't doubt that Duck has a fair chance at being added in the range at some point.

I've stated previously that I didn't want Diesel to come too soon in the range and that's still true. We've gotten a grumpy version of his HO Scale model a few years ago and we are just about to get him in Large Scale, so I think Bachmann could use a break from him and focus on completing the original Steam Team first. Unless maybe Sidney is announced in HO Scale, I think it would be fair to say that most Bachmann fans are done with seeing multiple Class 08 models between scales for some time.

As nice as an LBSC Thomas or Origins James would be in N Scale, I feel it may also be too early for any repaints of current engines. Still something to think about if no new engines can be announced, though.
Wishlists:

TrainFan97

If Bachmann still doesn't feel ready to announce the big engines like Gordon or Henry yet for N Scale, other medium-sized engines like Edward and Emily would be great choices for the N Scale range.

Despite Edward's recent mistreatment from Mattel, he would still be a very popular seller, and seems more likely in N Scale than Large Scale. Many fans would be happy for Edward being made in the N Scale range.

Emily would also be a welcome addition to the N Scale range, since she's still an original Steam Team member. The only problem with Emily is that she could make the N Scale offerings too similar to Large Scale, but she'd still be a welcome addition.

For more small engines, other great ideas include Mavis (using Toby's chassis), along with Bill and Ben. The problem with Mavis is that she got almost no merchandise since Mattel's takeover.

Since these are several great choices and possibilities, there isn't a specific one we can vouch for after Toby. If any of them were chosen to be the 5th N Scale engine, fans would be more than happy. If we still can't get Gordon or Henry yet, Emily and/or Edward would be more than welcome.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

Falcon, I feel bad for not getting to respond to your post suggestions right away, especially with how quick you've been with my posts too.  So I'll give my thoughts on the N scale engine suggestions you mentioned. 

To be honest, as much as I wouldn't mind a model of Daisy in N scale I agree it would be way too soon for her and for many of the other side characters, including Duck (as much I would absolutely love an N scale Duck since he's my favorite character).

I think Edward is definitely the most likely out of the three that you mentioned.  It feels like a missed opportunity not to introduce him in large scale, but doing him in N scale would be a great idea, given how popular he is with the older fanbase as well as how popular his HO model sold.   I wouldn't rule out Mavis either, apart from the standards at Mattel, but Bachmann's been known to take the easy route with reusing toolings/motors as of late so she would be a safe option too.

I would normally say it's too premature for Bachmann to consider engine recolors of the same character in the N scale range, but yellow Rheneas did get announced this year and both the narrow gauge and N scale ranges have four engines if you include Peter Sam and the N scale Toby so I wouldn't rule out an LBSC Thomas or Origin James in N scale.  That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to them and would probably buy them at some point too.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

Well, looks like we have a winner for the next N Scale engine: Edward.

Edward should be next N Scale engine after Toby. Bachmann missed an opportunity to make him in Large Scale, but an N Scale model of Edward would definitely be a big hit. If Bachmann can't make the big engines like Gordon or Henry just yet, N Scale Edward would be the perfect compromise. He is a very much beloved character, and his HO Scale model was very popular. If made in N Scale, Edward will certainly be a huge seller.

Like I said, the only issue with Emily is that she'd make the N Scale offerings too similar to Large Scale. Edward would be a better option for the next N Scale engine because he hasn't already been made in Large Scale. It's still a bit too soon to get side characters like Duck, Daisy, or Bill and Ben. That's why we'll go with Edward, who's another member of the original Steam Team. He still did get a little merchandise after being controversially removed from the main cast.

Hopefully, we'll at least get an unpainted sample of N Scale Toby by the end of this year.

Falcon the 2nd

Edward is the one that I would most certainly choose for the next N Scale engine. All things considered, it makes the most practical sense to announce him after Toby's prototype is shown off. To also have a Thomas toy lineup with Thomas, Percy, James, Toby and Edward among the first five engines produced would also be a charming treat that can make the N Scale lineup unique. After Edward is announced, Emily can easily be next.

It does feel too soon to announce most of the side characters, but recolors are fairly likely to come sooner now that I think about it. If no new engine were to be announced next year, LBSC Thomas would be the next safest bet and a good choice too.

Quote from: Chaz on May 27, 2021, 12:30:54 AM
Falcon, I feel bad for not getting to respond to your post suggestions right away, especially with how quick you've been with my posts too.  So I'll give my thoughts on the N scale engine suggestions you mentioned.

Don't worry about it, Chaz. I freely admit that I tend to give my responses fairly early- :P
Wishlists:

TrainFan97

Edward is now the next N Scale engine to vouch for. After Edward is announced, then N Scale Emily can be next. Edward would make the N Scale range more unique from Large Scale. It would be better if Emily was the 6th engine introduced to the N Scale range, and let Edward be the 5th.

Once we get Edward and Emily, we'll have all the medium-sized engines from the original Steam Team, leaving only the big engines, which are Gordon and Henry. Toby will be the last small engine from the original Steam Team.

JLK2707

Do you think that Devious Diesel would just be an excellent choice for N Scale?

Kemptown Branch

I was going to wait to say this, but I guess I don't have to.

Edward should totally be the next N scale engine if Bachmann's ready to announce one next year! It would be great to see them tackle an Edward model for the first time in 14 years! It would also be great, because Edward was the first character, and he would be announced right after being taken out of the show completely. It would be a really nice gesture to show that he's still important. Plus, he hasn't really had new/redesigned merch that represented him well since around 2013, and that's long overdue for him.

And based on the improvements with the James model, Edward could look really good! He would also allow the range to be different from the Large Scale range! And since N scale doesn't have the eye mechanisms, Edward probably wouldn't have the balance issues his HO model reportedly had.

Overall, I think he would be an excellent choice for the next model. Although, if they aren't ready for him, I'd love to see Mavis!

For rolling stock, I'm hoping they announce either (or both) the Milk and Tar tanker at the NMRA show. Next February, I'd hope to see whichever one wasn't announced, along with the original coal wagon and a brake van.

One thing I have also given some thought to is what the next item of rolling stock should be (this isn't necessarily for next year, but in the future overall). I think it would be good for them to further differentiate the range from the other ranges here. My choice for this is the Cattle Wagon.

It's a van, but it doesn't allow the range to fall into the trap of being exactly the same as Large Scale. They have been seen all throughout the series, and are probably almost as iconic as regular vans. The tooling is in the Graham Farish range. And this is more of a personal thing rather than a real point, but right now, there are plenty of vans available from Graham Farish, and not cattle wagons, so they could use a new way to make them more easily obtainable. Not to mention they would go great with a certain blue engine who shall remain nameless.

Bachmann will likely need multiple liveries for the cattle van, as we've seen with pretty much every piece of rolling stock in the other ranges, and there wouldn't really be much of an issue there.
There's the original livery (which is technically a darker version of the GWR livery):

There's the CGI livery (the planned Farmer McColl wagon):

Another fun one is making Troublesome Truck #3 (but not the HO one). Like Troublesome Truck #5, rather than #3, they could do this one with the same livery as the normal one, but with a darker roof (one is in A Cow on the Line. It's also not unusual for one model to change from one scale to the next. Scruffey had more detailed paint in large scale, the brakevans look completely different, and the Box Vans aren't even the same models as each other. The last thing I'm thinking about them changing is the face. I don't think the original #3's face has actually been on a cattle wagon, so I'd propose this one instead:

It would help Troublesome Truck #3 be even more unique by breaking the mold of all smiley-happy troublesome trucks, and it's right out of the model series, which would be pretty cool to see!

And last, if they need 1-2 more liveries to justify it, here's two more:

The obligatory questions:
1. Why is Edward the best option for next N Scale engine and why are you going to buy him as soon as he comes out?
1. Do you agree about the cattle wagon?
2. Do you think changing Troublesome Truck #3 is a good idea? Why or why not?
3. Would you buy the cattle wagons?

Let me know what your feedback is. Thanks for reading!